Is flying an airliner easy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CaptainMark said:
if it's so easy can a housewife walk into my A300 and take it from memphis to paris...i think we are talking different kinds of EASY!!

Of course she could, with the proper training.

Do you actually believe your job is difficult? Oh wait, you guys are still trying to convince management that flying is very difficult, aren't you? Well, in that case, yes, it's very difficult, and only the most skillfull men with nerves of steel can fly an airliner.

Lol! Just messing with ya, bro!

Resocha, Oh! my! Gad! you have let out the arkest deepest secret of the pilot brotherhood. Anyone with a combination of skill, desire and training can fly an airplane.

Captian Mark writes..........

If it's so easy can a housewife walk into my A300 and take it from Memphis to Paris......

So, a PILOT asks a question which can be summed up as;

Is flying an airliner easier than flying a 172?

And YOU chime in with a housewife reference.

Well, at least now I know that reading comprehension ISN'T on the pre employment tests at FDX :)

And to save you the trouble of your next post, yeah, I could. It might not be pretty, but it would get there.

Last edited:
We have a winner!

Resocha said:
Agreed. It's actually easy, but perserverance is a must. Anyone can be an airline pilot, it's an issue of how much BS one can tolerate.

Like an IP I once flew with said, "you could train a retarded chimp how to fly an airplane. The hard part is all the other fecal matter you've got to put up with that goes along with this job."
That and the fact that your decisions, if wrong, could kill a whole lot of people. And like many in management positions have said before (and will undoubtedly say again) "you're not paid to fly on those CAVU days. You're paid to make ALL the right decisions on those bad days when the fecal matter hits the fan." And that is where the challenge comes in.
Is there monotony in airline flying? Of course. I can't think of any job that doesn't have some level of monotony. However, my work environment is far more dynamic than any of my friends who drive desks for a living. And I have to say that I've never had 2 days at work be exactly the same. The flying itself is the easy part. What makes a good professional pilot is the judgement and decision making skills.

-Blucher

NorthShore said:
Captian Mark writes..........

If it's so easy can a housewife walk into my A300 and take it from Memphis to Paris......

So, a PILOT asks a question which can be summed up as;

Is flying an airliner easier than flying a 172?

And YOU chime in with a housewife reference.

Well, at least now I know that reading comprehension ISN'T on the pre employment tests at FDX :)

And to save you the trouble of your next post, yeah, I could. It might not be pretty, but it would get there.

and that's why you will never be a fedex pilot...housewife!

Not that is is anything I ever really cared about.

How about we do this. We both agree we are both smart guys with a lot of attitude and we stop insulting each other.

skipro101 said:
This is not a troll. I must premise this by saying that I have no experiance flying an airliner or working for an airline. I am not making any implications other than what my perceptions are, and am actually asking for someone with real experiance to comment on them--im not asserting them.

That said,

My question is -- Is flying an airliner easy?

All ive flown are the various cessna and piper trainers and a DHC-6 Twin Otter.

I have a percpetion, probly mostly wrong but maybe a hint of truth in it, that being an airline pilot (that is, flying an RJ and above in some airline) is

A- A lot easier than 30 years ago
B- Easier than flying less prestigous jobs such as flying some twin radial POS cargo plane to different short strips in the bush.
C- less fun than B

When I think of an airline pilot, I think of SOPs, Approved airports (only fly in to certain ones, time and time again), a network of dispatchers and your captain (or FO), and generally a lot of supervision, flying on predetermined routes and altitudes, autothrottles, autoappraoches, etc.

almost like you dont make a move that isnt written down and directed. It seems so much less "free" than other types of flying.

I guess what im saying is, my perception is shaping my career goals and I want to make sure I get all the information I can.

Is airline flying boring in comparison to business or freight?
Do you airline pilots out there feel like you cant take a piss without consulting a SOP or dispatcher or captin/fo or whatever? Is your entire flight profile preplanned and determined by the company,...

I know corporate does that too... but it just seems like the corporate pilot or freight pilot is alittle more.... i dunno...the job looks more varied. more fun.

I know there is a lot more to a job than this factor (QOL, pay, equipment, travel, etc).... but im just addressing this factor.

thoughts?

Like anything else, it's easy once you learn how. The issue is the types of flying environments you will be flying into. Going into a non-controlled airport on a nice, sunny day is much less challenging than Laguardia during a snowstorm and CAT 1 approach minimums. Throw in a sick FO and loss of Captain side screens and you have a really nice challenge. Of course, you learn to manage them all with experience.

I think the more appropriate question is this: where can I go that is stable and there is a solid business plan?"

Look at the 121 scheduled airline industry. It is in shambles and now the LCC's are showing signs of pressure. The Fractionals aren't showing signs of stress and it is where the dollars are flowing from the business traveler...which used to be where the airlines really made their money.

Some thoughts to consider. Do your own research and go with your gut. Bigger is not necessarily better...trust me!

Mike

Last edited:
NorthShore said:
Not that is is anything I ever really cared about.

How about we do this. We both agree we are both smart guys with a lot of attitude and we stop insulting each other.

OK..but it was just getting good..bye

Well, I believe that as a whole, the best short term goal for me is corporate with a long term goal as a FEDEX/UPS/DHL guy. I have been thinking that for a year or so now and despite my attemps to broaden my understanding, I have time and again come back to that aforementioned conclusion.

I could stay in corporate, but I dont want to die before I fly some heavy metal. It's just something that I have to do.

Airlines are a no go for a million reasons, so im left with big freight, which I think fits my personality better anyway.

Anyway, regardless of where I end up, I dont plan on relying on a company for my wealth...anyone read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" ? As he says, you got to mind your business.

PS, if you havent read that book, you need to.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back