• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is flying an airliner easy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think you guys have left out one of the most important parts of being an airline pilots, dealing with the children in the back. There is nothing like flying in hard weather, only to be called by the FA and told some drunk SOB won't put his lap belt on. Flying in the airlines is a much more dynamic environment than part 91, where you only have to worry about yourself and a couple of pass. I would say that 75% of my workload is dealing with idoits who bought there trip to California for $80.00 and think that they should be allowed to bring their own wiskey. Flying a significant number of passengers adds a whole new facet to an already complex job. Multi-tasking, even with an autopilot, can be much more demanding at the airlines than in a smaller aircraft. Glass cockpits don't change unplowed runways, naving thunderstorms, or people having heart attacks in bad weather. Flying an airliner is far more complex, not because of the equipment, but for the environment that they're flown in.

Last edited:
I personally feel that the flying is just different. I think when most of us fell in love with flying it was in cessnas and what not. I enjoy flying the equipment I'm in now but in a different way.

Unfortunately for some or even most people out there it turns from doing this because you love to fly to looking for the job that pays more and gives you more days off.

I instructed, flew night freight, photo shoots, ad banners, and then with the airlines. The airlines are definately easier in my opinion when it comes to A/C mechanicals, WX problems, loading/boarding, etc....

Its also much safer with all of the fancy doo dads at your disposal. I personally came closer to biting it flying night freight than I did when I went to Iraq with the Army.

So to make a long story short (too late) Yes I consider the other stuff some of the funnest flying I ever did. Which is why I feel that guys with a few hundrend hours going to the regionals are really selling themselves short of some good experience and great times.

Latest resources

Back