• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is flying an airliner easy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well then, I don't believe so... you have your opinion and I think different, nothing in my training has been at a level that was any higher than highschool, on the other hand I have studied medicine and that IS hard, wouldn't want someone with two years training operating on me, or representing me in a court of law. I believe flying for a living takes a lot of determination but not a lot of brain power, just my opinion.:cool:

Can reasonable men not disagree???

I duuno about you, but I'm surprised PETA hasn't protested about this thread and equine cruelty.

"Make it stop, Daddy!!!"

PETA?.... equine?.... reminds me of a story in France when I cooked some horse meat steaks on the grill. But I digress....

Is flying an airliner hard? One of aviation's little secrets is that generally, the larger the airplane the easier it is to fly. It's nothing that the average individual - given the proper training and the opportunity to gain an appropriate amount of experience - couldn't do and couldn't do well. It doesn't take a super human to fly a jet transport.

'Sled

I was just reading this post from start to finish. I am just a student pilot working my way through and I also appreciated all the advise I have seen on this thread. Hope to fly with some of you guys one day.

When I had about 100 hours I flew a long flight in an Archer about 4 hours each way over the desert southwest. After hand flying for so long I really hated it. I almost quit flying because the monotony of hand flying and trying to keep the airplane straight and level for 4 hours of thermals just wasn't fun at all. I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be great to have some device that could just do this boring straight and level flying for me." I never thought about an autopilot. As I became a CFI and was the guy in charge of the flight and later flying more advanced aircraft and more automated aircraft I realized that the important part about being a pilot is learning how to manage the aircraft and make good decisions. Hand flying is sometimes like the junior petty officer on the sub or the ship who has actual control of the craft. The ship or sub captain though is the one telling him what to do and where to go. On a complex airplane thought it's similar with the automation. The autopilot flies it while you tell it what to do. You become more of a manager. I rarely hand fly except for takeoff and visual approaches which are fun. In cruise it's just the same old stuff. Flying a larger plane isn't hard once you get the feel for it. But flying larger automated complex airplanes is where the good money and schedules are (eventually). If you want to just "fly" for a living then you can do airshows or something like that but those jobs are hard to come by and the pay may not be so hot. But some airline pilots have their own planes they fly on their days off. Most are small and simple to get back to the basics which they miss flying the heavy stuff. I'm not sure if I'm answering your question but maybe it's the wrong question to ask. Sure the hand flying is easy but the decisions involved with flying a multimillion dollar aircraft carrying numerous people are extremely important and you can't screw up.

Say Again Over said:
I believe flying for a living takes a lot of determination but not a lot of brain power, just my opinion.:cool:

Agreed. It's actually easy, but perserverance is a must. Anyone can be an airline pilot, it's an issue of how much BS one can tolerate.

Latest resources

Back