Is flying an airliner easy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2 cents

Flying an airliner is not ANY harder than flying a complex aircraft owned by a corporate operator. As a corporate operator you can be faced with a more complex job, maintenance, flight planning, and budgeting. Airline flying for me is more about the flying end only. Good corporate jobs are as hard to get as good airline positions, if you have one hang on to it.

405 said:
I'm still not reaching for SOMTHING that doesn't exist whatever the hell that means.

Well, I was going to ignore this and let it fade away, but you seem intent on keeping it alive by posting the same comment repeatedly when you don't get a response. I guess the fact that you dredged up a week old thread to add nothing of substance should have been the first clue you were going to turn this into some sort of unhealthy obsession.

First the "e"; yeah, I dropped the "e" out of "something", twice, and you caught me. Woooohooo. Yeah, I know how to spell "something", but I'm a lousy typist and a mediocre proofreader. I already knew that, so give yourself a little gold star, but let it go. You're only making yourself look foolish.

As for the rest, I made a flip, irreverent comment about some awkward grammar, then let it drop. (there's a lesson in there somewhere for you) Frankly, I'd forgotten about it until you started playing thread archeologist. What your purpose was when you dredged that up, I can only imagine, but obviously you were trying to make some point, hence my response. When you said that was threatening, it was becoming pretty clear you're a little out there on the fringes. Just let it go. At this point the best you can hope for from this exchange is that nobody will remember it in a few weeks. Keeping it alive is doing nothing for you.

What exactly made your comment so relevant? You added no substance either. Most people would overlook the "1 am in the morning" comment and move on but you had to make some sort of "statement". That's the reason I asked my original question. It bothered you. That's why you posted your remark. I think it's funny.

Yes. It's easy.

Flying a 747 is probably "easier" that fr8 dogging a Baron with no autopilot and crappy avionics and a questionable maintaince record. The plane gives you a lot more help (thru avionics) in an airliner than a small GA ride. But if you screw up in the Baron, you might kill yourself and make a small trench in a field. If you screw up in a 747, you take a few hundred people in the back, a few in the front and God only knows how many on the ground.

It's kinda like askig which is easier, golf or football.

The most important skill, as it is with all professional flying positions, is the ability to locate and press three big buttons in the cockpit: WHINE; BITCH & MOAN; COMPLAIN ABOUT LOT IN LIFE. (And I know where they are as well as anyone, before I get flamed to a crisp!).

NorthShore said:
Yes. It's easy.

Flying a 747 is probably "easier" that fr8 dogging a Baron with no autopilot and crappy avionics and a questionable maintaince record. The plane gives you a lot more help (thru avionics) in an airliner than a small GA ride. But if you screw up in the Baron, you might kill yourself and make a small trench in a field. If you screw up in a 747, you take a few hundred people in the back, a few in the front and God only knows how many on the ground.

It's kinda like askig which is easier, golf or football.

if it's so easy can a housewife walk into my A300 and take it from memphis to paris...i think we are talking different kinds of EASY!!

Flying a 747 is probably "easier" that fr8 dogging a Baron with no autopilot and crappy avionics and a questionable maintaince record.

On the other hand, some of us fr8 dog 747s with no autopilot, crappy avionics and questionable maintenance records into Quito at night.

It is easy if the weather is good..When the fog rolls in and the fuel goes low, it ain't.

This is also airline flying, but non-sched type.

If regular "airline" type flying gets to be too boring, ya can always quit and take a crappy job that is more challenging....Not many folks have done that however..

Jump in, the water is nice....:D

if it's so easy can a housewife walk into my A300 and take it from Memphis to Paris by Capt Mark
I fly in the so called "third world", and many of the pilots I fly with were previous cabin crew, so I would say after taking someone off the street and two years later they're in the small bus, yes it must be easy, now getting employed by Fed Ex might be another story.:D

Latest resources

Back