• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Delta getting 747's from JAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, Delta has NEVER been a big wide-body buyer. I mean, they had 39 L-1011's, which was their most for that class of airplane. They never exceeded 18 MD-11's and their biggest mistake was not buying a TON of 777's. They need to buy 777's like they bought 767's. I hope it works out for you guys, but unless they change that kind of thinking...UAL/CAL will eat your lunch in the Pacific. Good Luck! :D

Im sure they will be fine.

CYA

Let's buy an outdated airplane, from an airline that just declared bankruptcy, and in this bankruptcy is getting rid of predominately the 747-400. Take the hand away from your face, and start looking ahead and hoping for slow and steady growth that also renews the fleet. Watch for a base realignment next Winter and hope that retirements continue so that DL does not furlough. Pessimistic? nope, just realistic.

Let's buy an outdated airplane, from an airline that just declared bankruptcy, and in this bankruptcy is getting rid of predominately the 747-400. Take the hand away from your face, and start looking ahead and hoping for slow and steady growth that also renews the fleet. Watch for a base realignment next Winter and hope that retirements continue so that DL does not furlough. Pessimistic? nope, just realistic.

FYI the guys running this place are the same folks the still have us flying DC9's. Outdated is a bit much as 744 will have place for a while at DAL, IE. high volume, hi yield and maybe that change of gauge on different days of the week they talk about.. 4 A/C maybe 25 I want some of the stuff you guys are smoking.

You are being unrealistic. DL will have plenty of retirements coming up, primarily because senior NWA folk don't want to go to 65. All of the retirement numbers are based off of age 65, which most will not make. Is the 744 really out dated? Not really, and in good times does very well for DL. Oil is not over $100 a barrel, (still going down with recent stock market dips) and Boeing OWES DL big money for 787 delays. Recent profits have been used to pay off debt and make capital expenditures that are needed. MD90s are very cheap and efficient. Try to be a bit more optimistic.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You are being unrealistic. DL will have plenty of retirements coming up, primarily because senior NWA folk don't want to go to 65. All of the retirement numbers are based off of age 65, which most will not make. Is the 744 really out dated? Not really, and in good times does very well for DL. Oil is not over $100 a barrel, (still going down with recent stock market dips) and Boeing OWES DL big money for 787 delays. Recent profits have been used to pay off debt and make capital expenditures that are needed. MD90s are very cheap and efficient. Try to be a bit more optimistic.

Bye Bye---General Lee

FYI, Almost half the folks ahead of me on the 744 are over sixty.Don't think they will go to 65 , 63 maybe.

FYI, Almost half the folks ahead of me on the 744 are over sixty.Don't think they will go to 65 , 63 maybe.

That's what I mean. A lot of the retirement numbers are based off of people leaving at 65, and both you and I don't think many will continue all the way to 65. Most will probably go to 62 or 63.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I read somewhere that most are retiring at 62.5. I'm not too worried about them raising the retirement age again...I don't think most guys can make it medically much further.

Do not forget that the HND flights were awarded with the stipulation that they would be flown on a 747.

Do not forget that the HND flights were awarded with the stipulation that they would be flown on a 747.

Delta's first choice was SEA to HND on an A330, which was rejected. You are correct though, the reason (as stated by the Sec of Transportation) DL did receive 2 of the 4 slots was because of the 744 and the amount of seats DL could provide for the limited slots available. I don't know if A330s could be used to replace the 744s eventually, or if DL has to maintain 744s on the routes permanently.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back