Is AA going to recall

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well...

I think AA 73 is being a little too optimistic or he's thinking wishfully to finally get off or reserve.

Fact: AA got rid of the A300 fleet without any replacement. They continue to loose market share and form/look for code share agreements to become a virtual airline.

I will soon hit 8 years of furlough with no sign of recall in the near future.

With around 2000 furloughees and the AE flow-through, which has expanded, etc. I beleive there may be close to 3000 pilots that will have the opportunity to rejoin/join the AA seniority list before any interviewing for new-hires.

Having said that, The furloughees can by-pass and the 3 year clock to return does not start until the last of the furloughees has had the chance to return. There will probably be hiring before all the furloghees return.

Rumores of Oct. 6th for a big announcement. Let's wait and see.

Airbus rumors, used B777s from JAL or Qatar.....maybe......or maybe it is just the side effects of the medical-Mary Jane!

Last edited:
I wouldn't put a dime on it. Probably just more rumors floated by management to destroy morale even more when they don't come true.

I think AA 73 is being a little too optimistic or he's thinking wishfully to finally get off or reserve.

Thanks for the concern Jeff but I have been happily off reserve for a while now!

Regarding being optimistic: as I have mentioned on our board, I'm only being realistic. AMR has reached a point at which they must either act now or start declining into the Pan Am of the 21st century. In order to act, they have no choice but to grow, and at a good pace, too. That is the only way they can keep up with the new DL and UA. All financial signs point towards a pretty big growth campaign: lots of cash on hand, good financing, the JBV/ATI with BA/IB (which = huge feed that they previously did not have.)

Our management may lack leadership and vision but they are not dumb. They have no intention of running this airline into the ground. They are now finally being forced into action, and I think w'll see some pretty big growth coming up.

Not sure if the official announcement will be Oct 6, but it WILL be sometime in Oct. Expect to see at least 5-6 new routes - probably 5 out of JFK-Europe, 1 JFK-South America, and 1-2 out of MIA-Europe. They will probably announce recalls as well at that time. Rumors abound with a used 777 purchase - I'll believe that when I see it but it wouldn't surprise me - AMR wants to do a big push into Europe and Asia and there are some relatively newer 777s on the market.

All of our laid-off ground school instructors are recalled and they are hiring new ground school instructors in a big spool-up of the school house - especially in the 777 dep't. That right there spells out pilot recalls.

Things are changing at AMR - because they have been forced into it, NOT because they are visionaries - and it looks like some good movement for the pilot group - finally. Stay tuned...

No question that the DAL/NWA & UAL/CAL mergers are motivating factors in future growth, particularly the later merger. AA has plenty going for it in that it has 4 of its 5 biggest hubs in the largest & most business relevant metro areas in the land. But what it desperately needs is organic growth into Asian markets and secondary European markets. If Arpey and group can put that into motion then the future is very bright indeed. The proposed KLAX ZSPD is a good start.

Last edited:
No disagreement here

I agree with most of what you have stated, but it is very late in the game and AA has been a non-player for about a decade. This lays square on AMR management's shoulders.

AMR has failed to capitize on good opportunities and I am not just talking about their past mergers.

I am optiminstic about the new VP of FLT OPS, I could think of nobody better for the job. But it will take some significant changes in management and they way they do business. The MC and MW have been on for quite awhile. It is time to silence the bell and reach for the QRH.

Thanks for the concern Jeff but I have been happily off reserve for a while now!

Regarding being optimistic: as I have mentioned on our board, I'm only being realistic. AMR has reached a point at which they must either act now or start declining into the Pan Am of the 21st century. In order to act, they have no choice but to grow, and at a good pace, too. That is the only way they can keep up with the new DL and UA. All financial signs point towards a pretty big growth campaign: lots of cash on hand, good financing, the JBV/ATI with BA/IB (which = huge feed that they previously did not have.)

Our management may lack leadership and vision but they are not dumb. They have no intention of running this airline into the ground. They are now finally being forced into action, and I think w'll see some pretty big growth coming up.

Not sure if the official announcement will be Oct 6, but it WILL be sometime in Oct. Expect to see at least 5-6 new routes - probably 5 out of JFK-Europe, 1 JFK-South America, and 1-2 out of MIA-Europe. They will probably announce recalls as well at that time. Rumors abound with a used 777 purchase - I'll believe that when I see it but it wouldn't surprise me - AMR wants to do a big push into Europe and Asia and there are some relatively newer 777s on the market.

All of our laid-off ground school instructors are recalled and they are hiring new ground school instructors in a big spool-up of the school house - especially in the 777 dep't. That right there spells out pilot recalls.

Things are changing at AMR - because they have been forced into it, NOT because they are visionaries - and it looks like some good movement for the pilot group - finally. Stay tuned...

yeah, but....

QRH procedure is being complied with and an emergency has been declared!

AMR management is going to need additional retraining and many extra SIMs!

Latest resources

Back