Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jpilot23

YAY!!
I've been wondering this question throughout all the years I’ve been in aviation, 5. To succeed in aviation, (which to me means I’m flying, with a good company, and in something fast) will I need a degree? When I was young and stupid I thought I was lucky enough to get by in this line of work without one. Now growing older I see that I may have been mistaken.

I'm approaching 1000 hours with almost 200 multi. I’m making plans to go back and finish the classes i need for a 2 year degree (I only have 2, both math). So what if I fail? Does that mean that I will be stuck somewhere i don't want to be does that mean I’ll never get a chance to be a captain of a turbojet aircraft making over 50,000/yr. I usually try not to display my ignorance, especially in front of pilots, but I’m getting tired of debating these things in my head, i would like some other professional advice. Thanks all

hey dude..suck it up and finish your degree...you can get a job at the commuters without one and some corporations who feel that without one u won't leave for the majors...my best advice to you is to continue your education(if u have the means of course) and get the degree...it will pay dividends in the future...good luck!

Jpilot23 said:
To succeed in aviation, (which to me means I’m flying, with a good company, and in something fast)
Pinnacle is a good company and you can make 50K a year flying as captain for them, don't waste your time writing college papers when you can be "zoom zoom zoom" over at Pinnacle.

college not needed until the end

My advice is go to school part time or community college and fly, pilots get hired because they have flight time. Flt time moves you up the food chain to better jobs; the degree is not needed until the last step. You can go to school part time with a full time flying job, you cannot build real flight time while going to school full time. I have seen non-degreed guys go to the Nationals in their mid-20’s. It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college-educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with FedEx, then that prospective pilot should go to college. Air Inc advertises that 172 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now; I only see four that make the degree a showstopper. My assertion that runs contrary to the ‘College is a must” crowd, is that to be competitive for the other 168 places the degree is not necessary. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do.

Last edited:
Jpilot23 said:
I’m getting tired of debating these things in my head.

Go with your instincts. Life is a pretty good journey if you put yourself in the position to take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. You've probably heard that expression -- too soon old, too late smart?

All I can say is school only gets harder the longer you stay away from it.

I think you are asking the wrong question! You should rephrase the question by dropping the “with out college” part. If you don't want to become a chief pilot and are happy as a line pilot. I say no degree is required. It should not be required or preferred. I actually think that flight schools should be classed and operated like tech schools. But that is just me.

FerrisBueller said:
All I can say is school only gets harder the longer you stay away from it.
Maybe for some people. I had to take Basic Algebra twice back when I was doing my AA degree back in the early 80's. Flunked it the first time and passed with D- the second time.

I was nervous going into College Math I and II last year, but I got an A in I and a B+ in II.

It all depends on the person.

FN, that is an example of grade inflation

Look at it this way...is the 4 year degree going to hurt you? NO, it can only help. Plus your never to old to stop learning.

pilotyip said:
FN, that is an example of grade inflation
You can call it what you wan't, I'll call it ten weeks of being glued to a compter, ten lectures and the math lab.

I lost 10 lbs during those 10 weeks while sitting in a chair during every free hour I had. Don't try that at home.

Latest resources

Back