Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a light twin below 200HP considered "high performance"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dragland

Just wondering what the correct way to log this time was.
Thanks...

Nope, the engines can not be added together to make one giant 400hp engine. So put it under the AMEL, Total, PIC if appropriate, and complex if that applies. I hope that helps.

I'm not trying ot pick on dragland, or anyone else for that matter, just trying to give some information that may help folks trying to sort out what regulations mean:

Don't try to read something which isn't there. In most cases, the plain english meaning of the actual words of the law or regulation is what it means. This is one of the fundamental rules of construction (no, not building houses, how a law is "construed") If the words of a law (or regulation) are clear and unambiguous, that is what the meaning of the law is. Usually, this is assigned more importance than even the intent of author of the law (or regulation). Generally, only when the meaning of the words are unclear, is the intent considered. I say generally, as nothing is ever simple, but it is pretty rare to see a regulation interpreted in a manner contrary to the plain english meaning of it's words.

So if you're wondering what a regulation means, the first step is ask "what do the words say"?.

So in this case the words of the regulation say "...an airplane with *an* engine of more than 200 horsepower." Is that ambiguous? no, "an" means one, singular. so you go out to your seminole, you look at the left engine. Is that engine more than 200 hp? nope, its 180. you look at the right engine, is that engine more than 200 hp? nope, 180 again. are there any more engines? nope. Well it's obvious that airplane doesn't have *an* engine of more than 200 hp.

Now you might say that it sounds reasonable that the combined HP of the engines is what counts. Sure, I'll agree that could make sense, but that's not what the regulation says.

Hope this helps.

Edited for typos resulting from writing as I was out the door for a 0300 show. (yawn)

Last edited:
800 hours and a mel comm and youhave to ask this?

Kream926 said:
800 hours and a mel comm and youhave to ask this?
That is exactly what I was thinking.

Who cares anyway? Are you logging "high performance" time?

Guys, go easy on dragland. You guys ripped on him over the whole alternator/Seminole question earlier, but he still decided to follow up and ask another question.

Maybe the guy should know these answers by 800 hours, but if he doesn't - through whatever reason - don't you think we should help the guy out, and atleast make an attempt at "bringing him up to speed" and improving areas he's not strong in. Rather then ripping on him and belittling him about "you should know this... you should know that by now..."

We're not all perfect, do the guy a favor and help him out.

you're right user, maybe i am a little harsh. i still havt realized how huuuuge my brain is compared to others

Kream926 said:
i still haven't realized how huuuuge my brain is compared to others
I know, I'm the same way, and it can be really tough to remember that sometimes. :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back