• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iphone logbook program reviews?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very cool avatar. I'm sure some others may have recognized it subliminally. If The New Yorker magazine ever ran a piece on airline pilots, I would think that this photoshopped version would be a perfect photo to accompany the article. The style fits right in. Also, your user name would work well as the articles title. "Just a Number." Those three words alone describe and connotate so much in the airline industry.
C'est la vie. :beer:
Thanks for the compliments. We certainly are little more than just numbers. Hopefully The New Yorker will put some numbers on a check for me at your excellent suggestion ;-).
:beer:

So far (just a week using the program) I am pleased. . . . My only complaint is that the program occasionally crashes but not enough to be of concern.

Please don't take this personally, but isn't it amazing how software engineers have conditioned us to accept mediocrity? Imagine if our one-week-old cars just didn't start occasionally for no good reason. Or what if our jet engines just flamed out "occasionally"? We need to stop buying this crap until it works right!

P.S. Thanks for your experiences though, TNPILOT.

LogTen on the MacBookPro, and LogTenMobile on the iphone (2G). Syncs wirelessly with the MBP, and has never crashed. Keeps track of EVERYTHING. Highly customizeable. If you have other than LogTen/MacOS on the laptop/mainframe, the mobile will output a CSV file that can be imported by other logging programs.

You can import your schedule with the APDL converter, too. I mistakenly bought APDL for the Palm when I meant to buy for the PPC and they wouldn't exchange it. That, plus NC's failure to support Mac other than telling us to run BootCamp or virturalization software is why I dropped them.

http://www.coradine.com for LogTenPro and Mobile

Great mobile wx app: navmonster.com/mobile

LogTen on the MacBookPro, and LogTenMobile on the iphone (2G). Syncs wirelessly with the MBP, and has never crashed. Keeps track of EVERYTHING. Highly customizeable. If you have other than LogTen/MacOS on the laptop/mainframe, the mobile will output a CSV file that can be imported by other logging programs.

You can import your schedule with the APDL converter, too. I mistakenly bought APDL for the Palm when I meant to buy for the PPC and they wouldn't exchange it. That, plus NC's failure to support Mac other than telling us to run BootCamp or virturalization software is why I dropped them.

Thanks for that info. I don't have a Mac and I wondered if I could import into a PC.

As for the NC Software (APDL) people, they always sound like arrogant pricks on the NC blog boards. I think their attitude towards their customers and the market in general are kind of like IBM in the 80's. They got to be hot sh!t and were convinced that they knew better than the market what direction personal computing should go in. It is also why most PC's don't say IBM anywhere on them anymore. Even if my IBM history sucks, it does, you can see where I am going with NC and APDL.

BINGO. I have left them and don't look back.. I just wish there was a way to take my log book pro data and import/export it to a mac logbook program :(

If you have other than LogTen/MacOS on the laptop/mainframe, the mobile will output a CSV file that can be imported by other logging programs.

You can import your schedule with the APDL converter, too.

Care to share how I get a CSV out the importer?

All I can get is .trp, .zip, or .pdb files out of their importer...I can't do anything with them other than send them to Logbook Pro or APDL.

The funny thing is, the guy who originally wrote APDL would swap your license out for free. He knew that the programs were identical and wouldn't charge you twice for the same thing.

Then, NC Software bought them out, did nothing other than to update the software with their name in it, and started charging $10 more for the program. That was about 3-4 years ago and they haven't done anything since!

I was a big proponent of APDL early on, but just like any other software program, times have changed and they have been left behind. I'm not using an out-of-date phone just to use their product anymore. If they don't make an iPhone or Blackberry app pretty soon they won't be a major player anymore.

The funny thing is, the guy who originally wrote APDL would swap your license out for free. He knew that the programs were identical and wouldn't charge you twice for the same thing.

Then, NC Software bought them out, did nothing other than to update the software with their name in it, and started charging $10 more for the program. That was about 3-4 years ago and they haven't done anything since!

I was a big proponent of APDL early on, but just like any other software program, times have changed and they have been left behind. I'm not using an out-of-date phone just to use their product anymore. If they don't make an iPhone or Blackberry app pretty soon they won't be a major player anymore.

My feelings, exactly.

Thanks for that link to the wx place. Great!

On the topic. I feel the same about APDL and how it was pretty much abandoned by NC. I have looked at different things when I got my iphone and there really is no substitute out there if you want to stay with your PC and also use an iphone. Coradine is popular for mac guys/girls but I don't want a Mac. Most people don't in part for Safari's issue with crew track. So I am stuck with Logbook Pro and my little Dell PDA. But I am telling you the iphone stays. Who cares what logbook it runs or doesn't when it enables me to leave the laptop at home and saves me the money to buy another one. It is still better to carry an extra PDA + iphone, than iphone + laptop. Iphone to me is the top on the road device. May be when TSA will implement the new crew pass or whatever that thing is called. May be then I will consider a lappoop again.

Back to APDL. It is really becoming a pain to use APDL lately. I am furloughed at the moment so it does no effect me LOL, but I kept running into problems. The feature I liked the most was the rest calculation. It gets messed up if you try to fly redeye trips. It gives all kinds of fake errors. If not for that feature I really don't need APDL. I can import all my schedules after the flights at home. NC ignores issues with APDL. Just go to their forum and see it for yourself. They have completely dropped the ball on APDL and I doubt they will put more effort into it ever. As far as the iphone goes, they have mentioned that there "may be" a web based application in the future. Well that still sucks because isn't it convenient to do this logbook spiel in cruise? If it is web based I will need to be on the ground. There goes that.

My understanding is that their current efforts are focused on Logbook Pro version 2. I have forked out $ for APDL, Logbook Pro, their Route Browser (what a rip off that one is), and their other PDA logbook I forgot its name... the one that ran like a turtle on my Axim. However Logbook Pro is really great. But I am not spending another dime on it for sure. Screw version 2 if you can't fix the software that I have already paid for. You will not get more money out of me. The moment someone makes a logbook that runs native on the iphone and on the PC (even if the PC portion is online only, which is ok because that I only use at home anyhow) I am going for it. Eventually someone will. They have sold like what? 10 mill of the iphone 3G. I think that is popular enough.

How hard is it to import schedules into the HangTen mobile? I've been using APDL on my Treo, so I know how that part works. . .

Latest resources

Back