Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ERJ - Jay

Hello,
To all space constrained pilots, I'm looking into droping my 6+lb laptop for a new iPaq or HP Journada, but I'm wondering about their functionality. All I really want to do is check my e-mails and reply to them while on overnights. Possibly check the web for a minute or two while I'm killing time in the hotel. But I'm tired of shleping my laptop to do that, while these new gizmos can easily fit in my flight case and weigh as much as a cell phone. Does anyone have any experience with these systems and famillar with their functionality. Right now my laptop is only 133 MHz, so their 206 MHz processors are actually a step up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. I know this has little to do with Frax but I saw a computer related thread here a couple of days ago, and I thought yall would be a good resource for space&weight vs application type computer questions.

I have an IPAQ and have had it for about a year, you don't want the Jornada because since compaq and HP merged, they said that the Jornada line is going away, the reason for this is that the IPAQ is the most popular and best Pocket PC on the market. I thought the same way that you are, let me tell you that you won't miss your laptop, 1st of all the IPAQ will do anything that you can do on your laptop, the different sleeves for it make it so good, also most sofware out there and assesories are desingned just for the IPAQ, I get online with it just like any other computer with full screens, I have a duel compact flash card sleeve, and bought a 56K fax/flash card modem that uses a regular land line, I use Earthlink for that also I own a motorola timeport cell phone and have a connector for that so that you can use your cell phone, plus I have a folding keyboard, a must, folds from a small book to a full size keyboard, it is great, for software, there are 2 websites with loads of software, I have a WINZIP program, and many others, the IPAQ has windows, so it works like any other windows based computer, the software web sites are WWW.HANDANGO.COM, and the other one I can't remeber right now, but I can say that I love it and will never get another laptop again.
ENJOY

use earthlink, I did not have to install any software, and I can get into any web site, if I go somewhere, I call an 800 number to get a local dial up number, change it into the dial up setings and that is it, or if you have many min. to burn on your cell like me then I keep it set up to 1 number to connect to all of the time, I have sprint PCS and they sell a package for Pocket PCs that comes with a flash card hookup for the phone and you follow the directions and no software to load, that is it, have used it for a year and have had no problems with either EARTHLINK or using my cell phone, I get into any web site, have never had any problems
good luck

Latest resources

Back