iPAD XM WX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last edited:
BTW - here is some insight as to why there may be no rush to get Jeppview on the newest "iPad killer" Android tablets -

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/29/motorola.android.tablet.sales.wired/index.html

I agree that having an Ipad beats having to update Jepps. As for the news item above, that is simply the experience of one manufacturer (in the case Motorola). The one thing that appeals to me about android devices is that there are dozens of manufacturers of Android hardware. Hopefully soon it will reach a critical mass and there will be tons of great apps. I'm fairly confident that the time will come sooner rather than later. I have not met too many people who were thrilled by the idea of Apple telling them who their cell phone carrier had to be (back when Apple had an exclusive agreement for the IPhone with ATT). Right now, there are two phones being sold with the Apple OS from two carriers and the prices are locked down tight. There are dozens of phones with the Android OS (I don't own one unfortunately), and prices are competitive because of the number of phone manufacturers and carriers. I think that people will get comfortable with Android very quickly. Google (Android's owner) is already a household name, and I would venture to say that most Ipad users use Google for searching.

From the be all end all of internet truth...Wikipedia.

" As of June 2011[update] Google said that 550,000 new Android devices were being activated every day[109]—up from 400,000 per day two months earlier in May 2011 -and more than 100 million devices have been activated.[15] Android hit 300,000 activations per day back in December 2010. In July 14, 2011 550,000 Android devices are now activated by Google each day with growth 4.4 percent per week"

I realize that these figures above are not mainly tablets, but you have some industry heavyweights invested in this OS (Samsung, Toshiba, HP, ASUS, Dell, and yes Motorola). Couple that with an open source concept that will allow developers to create apps without Apple's blessing, and I think things could get interesting. I remain optimistic.

People have had a long time to get accustomed to Android already.

I currently have all 3 (Android. BlackBerry, and iPhone) and I have always thought Android was the least useful and intuitive of them all. Their app market is goofy, the interface is cumbersome, and the better (some are very nice) devices have poor battery life. They sell lots of them because they are cheaper than iPhones. I keep hearing this "open source" argument and have yet to understand why anyone cares. Aspire to be an app developer?

This is just my .02...but I also do not live off my smartphone like many and mostly carry a BBerry just to get work email. I just want something that works.

I also think the anti-Apple people who align themselves with that small, independent, loving company called GOOGLE are just as clueless Apple fanboys. It's no longer trendy to be a dumbass.....:)

Last edited:
But 8 years ago I used Jeppview on a crappy old Fujitsu tablet and it worked just fine.

As far as having a disc goes, A worldwide subscription take a very long time to download. In some of the places we travel, internet connectivity can be spotty. I don't know if Jeppesen has resolved their download issues from the early days, but back then, if you lost a connection in the middle of a download, you were SOL. I guess we could download them through the SBB (that would only cost a few thousand $$ in data charges). Would it kill Apple to put a micro USB port on the thing? Why yes it would, then they would lose their monopolistic grip on you.

All I know is I NEVER got the fujitsu or any other laptop to load from a disc or wireless.

The iPad loads up just fine. YMMV (as it obviously does).

As for the old tablets making great doorstops, my netbook will make a great door stop. The old tablets are great for keeping my bass boat from drifting...

:p
TC

TC

Sometimes I feel like a Foreflight salesman....they've announced XM WX thru Baron Mobile Link in their next update(4.2)

Latest resources

Back