• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPad Policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Concerning back-ups in case of power failure. I think we're planning on using NOS charts..Much cheaper than Jepp updates...

I'm not especially keen on using the IPADS..Besides the whole keeping them charged.. Who's butt will be on the line when they get broke or end up missing..? Sure they can be tracked down via GPS, but I don't want to be responsible for the thing...just one more pain in the butt thing to have to do.

I see nothing wrong with using paper... always have done it, no issues to date....Especially for our little operation and same 5-7 airports... Some people are just slaves to technology. Nice avionics upgrades etc. Are great. full glass cockpits are great. But I don't need an IPAD to get to an airport.

Just amazing how something so simple and useful can be over-thought and complicated in to futility.

Bottom line: It works.

And this is a corporate forum....the 135 regs are more suited to the charter section. Not to be surly, but they are two different worlds and the iPad discussion gets confusing when we blend the two.

Sent from my iPad....where I keep my charts.

From AC 120-76A:

"(1) The operator should provide evidence to the PI demonstrating that the Class 1 EFB is properly stowed or mounted for takeoff and landing."

Wrong, the InFo supersedes the AC. Read the link above.

Just amazing how something so simple and useful can be over-thought and complicated in to futility.

Bottom line: It works.

And this is a corporate forum....the 135 regs are more suited to the charter section. Not to be surly, but they are two different worlds and the iPad discussion gets confusing when we blend the two.

Sent from my iPad....where I keep my charts.

That's the FAA for you.

Wrong, the InFo supersedes the AC. Read the link above.
[one last "corporate" hijack from me, sorry]

The InFo states that you must comply with FSIMS "and/or" AC120-76A. I didn't see in the InFo where you have to have the thing strapped to your knee. Can you site a reference?

We'd rather be "in line" with the federales from the get-go rather than hustling to get into compliance when/if someone decides we're doing it wrong. If, in fact, we DO need to have it on a "kneeboard" those mounts are very inexpensive, so I can't imagine having too much of a problem with going that route if we needed to.

[/corporate hijack]

FWIW, our "policy" (one plane two pilots about 95/5 on the 91/135 ops) as written is to plug them in at our office at the FBO when we leave.

If we're on an overnight, each pilot takes one to the hotel to plug in. That means if I'm single pilot on the trip, I only have to charge one at the hotel.

With power in the cockpit, plugging the second one in with the GPU on prior to departure usually does the trick for charging it. And as others have said, battery life isn't a problem. I flew a weekend trip single pilot last weekend and with the 2nd unit in the plane all weekend, I came back to preflight with the fully charged unit and the 2nd unit was at 98%. That was 70-ish hours unplugged.

Our policy for updates is to check during every preflight. We do have 3G if we needed it for updates, but like others, we don't seem to have a problem finding wifi. I'll agree that simpler is betterer.

-mini

Latest resources

Back