iPad Policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2-o'sinGoose

What do you guys do for each airplane with the iPad? I'm looking for the best way to delegate and make sure the iPad is charged and updated for each flight without being ocd sop for them.

Designated charging station? Or assign it as PIC duty?

Thanks Guys

We don't have a policy as each pilot has an iPad and is responsible for it, and it's expected use. I have never asked the guy sitting next to me if his charts are current as I just assume they are. If it runs out of batteries we just charge them up in the galley.

No policy. Each guy was given an allowance (1K) to by the one he wants. His responsibility from there on to keep it up to date. Charging not really an issue. Don't over think something so simple.

As of now we are getting one per airplane... 3 total. I wish we could get one per pilot it would take the math out of it. However given the circumstance it is a bit more challenging. It will be a community shared iPad and a task to make sure its up to date/ready for the next flight.

As of now we are getting one per airplane... 3 total. I wish we could get one per pilot it would take the math out of it. However given the circumstance it is a bit more challenging. It will be a community shared iPad and a task to make sure its up to date/ready for the next flight.

Who does the Jepps now? Not much different about an iPad...its just a chart viewer. You can add all the gimmicky apps you want....some find them useful, others don't.

Like SF said, don't complicate something so simple...not much to "prepare" for its next flight.

The extent of our department admin work is a quarterly meeting tracked via our SMS. Its a one pager template. One of the boxes is Aircraft Documents/Charts/Ipads up to date....ask everyone if their iPad us up to date with Jepps, Ops Manual, AFM, etc....check box, done.

Last edited:
16 is fine, but they paid for a 32, so that's what I have. Used to have a 16 iPad #1 and it held all I could throw at it. Worldwide Jepps, manuals, Qrh's etc etc, no problemo.

I am having a hard time buy off on the IPAD thing, without power in the cockpit for them. JMHO

One per airplane, I don't see the point. I know Part 91, not required, yadda yadda yadda, but are you carrying paper back ups? If yes, forget the ipads. If no, what happens when battery dies, one doesn't make it on the airplane, etc?

Spend the money to do it right or stick with paper.

I am having a hard time buy off on the IPAD thing, without power in the cockpit for them. JMHO

the charge lasts "forever" . Just charge it while you sleep at night. or maybe you don't sleep. in any case, a power source is a non issue.

Latest resources

Back