• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPad Policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am having a hard time buy off on the IPAD thing, without power in the cockpit for them. JMHO

The only time mine ever died was after a break in flying (2+ months) as it sat in my bag on standby.

If you don't have a power source in the cockpit my guess is you fly shorter legs? 2-4hrs?...power wont be an issue. In airplane mode as a chart/flight plan viewer, mine is still at 75-80% after an 11-12hr leg.

iPad - about the cost of an average small batch of mediocre catering. It's nothing to analyze over and easy to try out.

What data plans would you recommend? Verizon 3 gig or att 2 gig?
What all apps do you use and what aircraft documents were you able to put on there? Thanks again!

What data plans would you recommend? Verizon 3 gig or att 2 gig?
What all apps do you use and what aircraft documents were you able to put on there? Thanks again!

GoodReader will store anything you have in PDF just fine.

We also use it for flight plans, get the Arinc (or whoever) package via pdf....W&B, perf, APG, wx, etc.

We have not used the ATT data package at all (or very little?) as I have always found wifi at hotels or our office.

I get the $15 per month AT&T data pkg and don't use it much, but like to have it because when I want access, I have it.

GoodReader will store anything you have in PDF just fine.

We also use it for flight plans, get the Arinc (or whoever) package via pdf....W&B, perf, APG, wx, etc.

We have not used the ATT data package at all (or very little?) as I have always found wifi at hotels or our office.
What he said. We didn't even get data plans for ours, and so far I've never said, "Crap, I wish I had data." Every FBO, every hotel, the house, the hangar, all have wi-fi.

For part 135 there are a ton of rules. There has to be training for crews, a 6 month "trial" period in which you have to carry paper charts. They have to be charged to a specific level before departure, they have to be EMI tested per airplane, they have to be serial numbered per airplane, they cannot be yoke mounted without an STC, if no yoke mount, they must be "secured for critical phases of flight," which means they have to strapped to a kneeboard..to name a few.

Part 91, very few rules.

For part 135 there are a ton of rules. There has to be training for crews, a 6 month "trial" period in which you have to carry paper charts. They have to be charged to a specific level before departure, they have to be EMI tested per airplane, they have to be serial numbered per airplane, they cannot be yoke mounted without an STC, if no yoke mount, they must be "secured for critical phases of flight," which means they have to strapped to a kneeboard..to name a few.

This is not entirely accurate.

We don't have a minimum charge requirement nor a kneeboard requirement nor a serial number requirement.

That said, we have yet (in very few flights with the new company) to take the iPads out of the chart cases. Usually we just use the MFD.

-mini

This is not entirely accurate.

We don't have a minimum charge requirement nor a kneeboard requirement nor a serial number requirement.

That said, we have yet (in very few flights with the new company) to take the iPads out of the chart cases. Usually we just use the MFD.

-mini

It is true, it MUST be on a kneeboard or secured during critical phases of flight, assuming you are using it for primary charts. (Google InFo 11011) The 8900 addresses that it has to be charged. If you are to plug it in during flight, it becomes a Class II device with a whole new set of rules.

It is true, it MUST be on a kneeboard or secured during critical phases of flight, assuming you are using it for primary charts.

The AC doesn't specify kneeboard. Just securing the device. Our approved program is based on placing the units where we'd normally put one of about twenty jepp binders. You can probably fit three in there, though we only carry two.

That's all I was saying is that you are not required to use it as a kneeboard. As long as you have a way to secure it from movement during a critical phase of flight you're good. That means it has to be secured when the wheels roll onto the pavement and also when they separate from the pavement. So at 200', the PM slides his unit into the slot (giggity) and after "gear up yaw damp on" the PM removes his unit from the slot (giggity goo). No kneeboard. It's magic.

-mini

Latest resources

Back