• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IPA is for EU open skies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"A study commissioned by the European Commission has calculated that an agreement with the United States would reap benefits worth as much as five billion dollars (4.16 billion euros) per year to consumers".

Because Lord knows, they pay way to much for air travel now!

Do notice, that for access to one british airport, RB wants the US to give unrestricted acess to our airports. You know what VA and BA, you can keep LHR!

Like someone else said, we truly need to wake up and smell the coffee on this one!

One question--Can someone tell me one (besides the U.S.), only one, country in the world that is overstaffed with pilots?

Where is this flood of foreign pilots going to come from? India? Nope. They can't even staff their own planes. China? Same deal. EU? They won't work for less than U.S. pilots (we prove that every day :rolleyes: .). Other Asian countries have long hired expats because they couldn't come close to staffing their own airlines with their citizens.

The cabotage boogeyman doesn't work any more. It simply isn't valid. Yes, there may be foreigners operating airlines here but the bulk of their employees will be U.S. citizens. And if they don't offer equivalent service to the U.S. carriers (and equivalent safety) they will not last long.TC

I think FedEx had about 10,000 pilots from Ireland on standby a few years ago. Maybe those guys are still around??

AA717driver said:
Where is this flood of foreign pilots going to come from? India? Nope. They can't even staff their own planes. China? Same deal. EU? They won't work for less than U.S. pilots (we prove that every day :rolleyes: .). Other Asian countries have long hired expats because they couldn't come close to staffing their own airlines with their citizens.

The cabotage boogeyman doesn't work any more. It simply isn't valid. Yes, there may be foreigners operating airlines here but the bulk of their employees will be U.S. citizens. And if they don't offer equivalent service to the U.S. carriers (and equivalent safety) they will not last long.TC

We shall see, but I do not harbor your rosy view on the issue. I think it will be bad for the US pilots, as for your staffing issue, plenty of pilots coming from eastern countries, plenty of them working as expats from what I am told. 3000 euros a month is a lot for say a polish pilot.

AA717driver said:
One question--Can someone tell me one (besides the U.S.), only one, country in the world that is overstaffed with pilots?

In the most recent issue in ATW there was an article indicating Germany is pushing for MTL (Multi-Crew Pilot License). This is to reduce training costs (and no doubt pilot salaries). Right seaters could fly jets with 240 hours. The thought is with planes being so automated then you only need one "real" pilot. So if there is indeed a shortage this may be a way around it. Realize this has been talked about before.

Latest resources

Back