Int'l Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CLECA

I have an interview coming up with a 91/135 operator that does a lot of international flying to Europe and the Pacific. I am coming from a regional and know that this will be a weak area in the interview. Can anyone give me a general rundown on the execution and planning of an international flight? Also, any types of questions that might be encountered considering international ops? Thanks I appreciate the input.

I have an interview coming up with a 91/135 operator that does a lot of international flying to Europe and the Pacific. I am coming from a regional and know that this will be a weak area in the interview. Can anyone give me a general rundown on the execution and planning of an international flight? Also, any types of questions that might be encountered considering international ops? Thanks I appreciate the input.

Unless you lied on your resume, they know you don't have int'l experience and probably don't care. If they wanted an experienced int'l PIC, you would not get an interview. I wouldn't worry about it. Don't try to bs them with text book answers, let them know you're eager to learn. I'm willing to bet they won't ask a single question related to planning an int'l flight considering your background.

Last edited:
They know my background, I am just concerned that I will be up against other pilots that do have the international background they're looking for. I have been invited based on my knowing a few of the upper management folks and just want to show somewhat of a working knowledge. I am asking on here to make sure that what I think I know isn;t BS. If that makes any sense at all? I am also curious to hear what some of those interview questions you've all had might be and to weigh whether the pay and job are worth the switch. I have about nine years seniority at a regional, but am ready for the change.

Last edited:
CLECA...don't sweat it. They know you don't know a thing about it. In fact, they likely concede you haven't even filed a domestic flight plan, or gotten your own weather in a number of years.

It is possible you're only interviewing because you called in a favor, but it would still be a waste of everyone's time if they didn't want to hire you.

If something comes up related to international operations, a simple question related to which vendor do they use for that function might be appropriate...but really, not a big deal at all, like the others have said.

They are primarily concerned with your personality and ability to fit in with the group. They can teach anyone to fly an airplane across an ocean. They cannot teach someone to not be an a*#hole.

Cleca, just happened to see your profile and re-read my post. I didn't mean to come across that you're some life-time airline guy that doesn't know $hit about Pt. 91 ops. I see you have some corp jet experience.

I'm sure you're a professional. And in the past, I have used the favor approach to get in the door...and it's worked.

I'd be has humble as humble and project your excitement about having the opportunity to begin a new career and learning new things.

You're an airline type, so you know, it's about hiring the person with the right attitude.

Remember, when we first when to the airlines we could barely figure out how to bring up a release!! Remember that...anyway....be enthusiastic, and you'll do just fine...

Ultra

I was airline only and just emphasized that I knew this was a different environment than I'd been in and was eager and willing to learn.

Emphasize your ability to work with a wide variety of personalities and to adhere to the SOP's. Tell them you're not afraid to get your hands dirty--they'll know that from you having done 91 before.

Flying Int'l. isn 't rocket science (don't tell them that) but I'd ask about who they use for training (FSI, ATI, Scott, etc.). Do some research on the different providers (there is a thread at Pr0p!lotw0rld.com if you're on there) and tell them you've been looking at the back panel of the Atlantic and Pacific enroute charts and the ICAO manual--it's ok to admit your eyes glaze over!

Until you make a few trips, it almost impossible to grasp the nuances (or, if you're like me, even the basics...) of 'crossing the pond' (in fact, if you haven't done it, don't use that term--they'll label you a dip$h!t immediately ;) ).

Good luck. TC

CLE- Wish I could just quote eveyone on this thread! Great advice here! Be yourself and have fun. All the best, cheers- Rum

They'll send you to an Initial International Procedures Course and that will be like the proverbial waterhose against the wall drill. I would recommend that you can at least give a position report to your interviewers if asked. You may be rusty but that's what I would do.
Good Luck

Latest resources

Back