• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interview Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are talking about keeping a log book for the purpose of getting a job, then the point of whether the FAA requires it is mute. Required by the FAA or not, show up at an interview, then when they ask for your logbook, simply say that you don't keep one because it is not required and see how well the rest of the interview goes. Sometimes, as pilots we tend to argue semantics without seeing the big picture. It's like saying a suit and tie is not required for an interview, but don't wear one and see if you get the job.

14 cfr 61.51

Nope. That says : "in a manner acceptable to the administrator" be able to show currency. It has been long established that company records, sim training records, or other similar records will be acceptable to "the administrator" (FAA) for this purpose.

Now if you are applying for a certificate or rating, different story. But for those of us that will probably never get another certificate. No requirement.

It has been long established that company records, sim training records, or other similar records will be acceptable to "the administrator" (FAA) for this purpose.

The original statement was: "unless you are working for a 121 carrier, I believe the FAA REQUIRES you to keep a logbook."

The original statement was: "unless you are working for a 121 carrier, I believe the FAA REQUIRES you to keep a logbook."

I don't work for a 121 carrier. My company (part 91 )keeps detailed flight logs of every flight, as many corporate flight departments do. My sim records are also readily available.
So that statement is incorrect.

Latest resources

Back