• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think I have it.

You are on reserve (4 hour call out)

You have been assigned a trip

You are trying to catch a few extra ZZZ's before the flight but AS requires a call to check in 2 hours before departure.

Sounds legal to me. Rest required to begin 14 hours after Phone call check-in.

It sounds like they might be interrupting your nap not your required rest period.

Call your union reps and ask them. They are familiar with your contract and therefore are in a better position to answer your questions. They are also the ones that would follow up with the company if there WERE an issue here.

That is the proper channel to take...not asking on an internet message board where the likelihood of finding anyone who is actually able to answer your question with even some degree of accuracy is very low.

IanSaw said:
But our duty does not start until showtime. So the call is a freebie for them and pita for me.

everything i understand from my current and former carriers is the current FAA interpretation is duty begins when you MUST be contactable or perform a duty ie. call the company. i would think the FAA would not consider it legal to REQUIRE (i keep bold facing this, because if they don't require you to call or require you to answer but you do... it is legal) you to call the company but still be in rest till a showtime at a later time, i am almost certain of it. call your union and ask.

Latest resources

Back