Interuption of required rest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IanSaw

Is an airline violating the FAR's if it requires a pilot to check in 2 to 3 hours before the departure time? How many companies require this? Is this legal?

IanSaw said:
Is an airline violating the FAR's if it requires a pilot to check in 2 to 3 hours before the departure time? How many companies require this? Is this legal?

If you're required to check in 3 hours before departure, then your rest ends at the time you're required to check in. Say you begin your rest at 12 midnight and you are on reduced rest of 8 hours. The departure time the next day is 11am but you are required to check in at 8 am. Perfectly legal because you got your 8 hours rest. However, if it's a 10 am departure and they want you to show 3 hours prior, then you're illegal because that would only give you 7 hours rest.

I've never heard of a 2 or 3 hour show though. Most airlines use a 30-60 minute show before departure time.

By the way, you fly a 767 and you don't know about rest requirements? What's up with that?

If you are "required" to do anything, it is an interuption of your rest and your rest period is over.

Required Rest

Mate,

Close. The rules (both 121 and 135 although the rule language is different) states that the certificate holder can not require any activity during a required rest period. FAA general counsel has, in writing, stated that a single telephone call for the purpose of making, modifying or verifying a flight assignment does not interrupt required rest.

The new rules to be contained in 135 will more clearly define these kinds of issues, at least I was told so when the Working Groups met.

TransMach

I seem to remember that the ruling dealt with the company calling the pilot during rest. If the pilot has to make the call, then that violates the concept of being free from duty to the company. You are no longer in rest.

Example,

I am called for an all-nighter trip while on a 4 hour call out reserve. I can physically wake up at my place and drive to the airport withing 15 minutes of my alarm going off. With a two hour phone check in I have to set my alarm 45 minutes early to make a stupid call. Is this legal?

I'm confused by your example... Are you on call when they ask you to call them?? In other words, does your reserve window start at 1800 and they assign you a trip a 2200. They want you to call them at 2000??

You cannot be required to contact the company prior to your on call status. If your on call status has already opened, you're no longer on a rest period and they can have you do anything they want, or your contract allows them to do.

We might be released into rest while on reserve and then be required to call them prior to the departure or just have to call them two hours prior to a normal shift on a line. I'm assuming noone else has to do this. The company is Alaska if anyone wants to chime in.

Latest resources

Back