Interpreting an Airmen's Entry at registry.faa.gov

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Read page 6 fof the PTS

"To obtain an instrument rating with multiengine privileges, an applicant must demonstrate competency in a multiengine airplane not limited to center thrust. The multiengine airplane that is used to obtain unlimited multiengine privileges must have a VMC speed established by the manufacturer, and produce an asymmetrical thrust configuration with the loss of one or more engines. If an instrument flight test is conducted in a multiengine airplane limited to center thrust, a limitation shall be placed on the applicant’s certificate: (INSTRUMENT RATING, AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE, LIMITED TO CENTER THRUST)."

The way his certificate reads is he has: Commercial privileges, Single engine, instrument; he can fly single-engine for hire IFR. Private privileges: Single or Multi-engine; no Multi-engine IFR or for hire.

Did he take the Instrument in a single or multi-engined airplane? If it was a single-engine, has he since demonstrated IFR competency in a multi-engine airplane? If he has, then he has Private Multi-engine privileges IFR; not for hire. If not, since it is not listed under his Private privileges he probably hasn't,then no Multi-engine IFR....period. If seems to me that he has no understanding of his Privileges and Limitations. What else does he not understand about flying? Not sure I would want to ride around in an airplane with him.

Last edited:
He had an instrument rating when he took his multi checkride. He can't remember if he shot approaches during the checkride and his logbook has nothing written as far as approaches shot for the checkride.

He just got his ASES and his temp ticket is totally confusing b/c the examiner has listed everything which now looks like he has his commercial multi which we both know that he does not.

Basically, the guy wants to fly my twin around and the insurance company needs to know his exact ratings/certs/etc., before they'll add him. They don't want to insure him if he's only multi VFR.

nosehair said:
VIK, to answer your original question, since the limitation, "VFR Only" does not show on the multiengine rating, he would have instrument privileges in the multi. However, I know that sometimes, these things get dropped in the process. Did "your friend" have an instrument rating and demonstrate instrument proficiency on the multiengine checkride? Does his certificate read the same as his OKC record?

Multi for VFR only

Vandal said:
That is completly bogus...the instrument rating has no Multi/single implications, it is for ALL IFR flight.
That is incorrect. One can take a multi checkride without demonstrating instrument approaches. If that happens, one is issued a multiengine rating limited to VFR. It will say so on the pilot certficate. To have that restriction removed, most examiners will ask only for an approach with all engines operating and an approach with an engine inoperative. Usually, the engine-inoperative approach will be an ILS.

Vik said:
He had an instrument rating when he took his multi checkride. He can't remember if he shot approaches during the checkride and his logbook has nothing written as far as approaches shot for the checkride.
Oh, ok. How long ago was that? If he can't remember, then it might have been back when,,,ya didn't hafta do instrument approaches in a multi for your instrument rating to cover it. It usta be that an instrument airplane rating covered all classes of airplane. So it could be that he is legal under the grandfather clause, which I can't quote, but if the certificate does not have printed on it "VFR ONLY" after Private priveleges AMEL, then he is not limited to vfr only. (probably)

I didn't do instrument approaches on my 5 hour Commanche add-on in '67.

If I really didn't know my privileges, I'd just call the FSDO or OK City.

Yeah, it was awhile ago, so its possible but his new temp ticket doesn't say "VFR ONLY" and neither does the FAA database.

Like someone suggested, I've told him to call the FSDO and/or OK

nosehair said:
Oh, ok. How long ago was that? If he can't remember, then it might have been back when,,,ya didn't hafta do instrument approaches in a multi for your instrument rating to cover it. It usta be that an instrument airplane rating covered all classes of airplane. So it could be that he is legal under the grandfather clause, which I can't quote, but if the certificate does not have printed on it "VFR ONLY" after Private priveleges AMEL, then he is not limited to vfr only. (probably)

I didn't do instrument approaches on my 5 hour Commanche add-on in '67.

Latest resources

Back