Interpreting an Airmen's Entry at registry.faa.gov

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vik

A friend of mine isn't sure if he is instrument rated multi or just multi VFR. Here is what his FAA entry says:

Certificate: COMMERCIAL PILOT
Rating(s):

COMMERCIAL PILOT

AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

PRIVATE PRIVILEGES

AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND

To me, it looks like he's a ASEL/IFR Commercial Pilot, but only a AMEL non-IFR PP.

Thanks in advance.

An instrument airplane rating is good in Single and Multi-engine airplanes. He should of been tested on instrument work during his multi-engine rating.

If he had not, it would say "AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND (VFR ONLY)". I believe the FAA is no longer doing VFR only multi-engine ratings as of a few years ago.

iaflyer

Vik said:
A friend of mine isn't sure if he is instrument rated multi or just multi VFR.
And all this time I've told students there was no such thing as a stupid question...

Did he have amnesia and forget? I thought it was a requirement to be able to read and understand the english language. Can't he just look at his certificate?

No disrespect to your friend...but geez.

iaflyer said:
If he had not, it would say "AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND (VFR ONLY)". I believe the FAA is no longer doing VFR only multi-engine ratings as of a few years ago.

iaflyer
how bout guys that get their private in a twin (some of the larger flight schools do it to get you PIC twin time)?

However, if you got the instrument rating...it's an instrument rating...

"Instrument Airplane" not "instrument single engine fixed gear 160 HP two seat high wing airplane"

EatSleepFly: I agree. Check out the ticket. I have my instrument ticket, but my entry in the registry isn't updated yet...the FAA wants to know what you've got in your pocket...

-mini

Well, the confusion came up because INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE isn't listed under "Private Pilot" also. So someone mentioned that he maybe a VFR only multi pilot.

Since I don't know any VFR only multi pilots w/ single engine land instrument ratings, I couldn't compare the entry to anything, so here I am :)

From what everyone told me, it sounds like his IFR ticket is valid for both ASEL and AMEL. He just needs to do his commercial multi checkride.

EatSleepFly said:
And all this time I've told students there was no such thing as a stupid question...

Did he have amnesia and forget? I thought it was a requirement to be able to read and understand the english language. Can't he just look at his certificate?

No disrespect to your friend...but geez.

His commercial Multi checkride will consist of single engine instrument approaches. If he doesn't do this, his commercial multi certificate will have a VFR ONLY limitation on it, regardless if he has commercial single engine and instrument.

That is completly bogus...the instrument rating has no Multi/single implications, it is for ALL IFR flight.

Vandal said:
That is completly bogus...the instrument rating has no Multi/single implications, it is for ALL IFR flight.
Commercial Airplane PTS:
Airplane Multi-Engine
Area of Operation X: Multiengine Operations
NOTE: If the applicant is instrument rated, and has previously demonstrated instrument proficiency in a multiengine airplane or does not hold an instrument rating airplane, TASKs D and C need not be accomplished. (C is engine failure during flight, and D is instrument approach-one engine.)

If a single-engine private, no instrument rating, gets a multi add-on, or gets an initial private multi, or a commercial, with no instrument rating, or any combination way you wanna make it, he has to demonstrate tasks D and C in a multi to have IFR privilages in a multi.

Page 5 (the stuff up front) of the Commercial PTS tells how to remove the "VFR ONLY" limitation to a multiengine rating if you dont do tasks d and C when you get your multi.

Vandal said:
I beg to differ. Refer to the Instrument PTS at http://av-info.faa.gov/data/practicalteststandard/faa-s-8081-4c.pdf

Page 13 says, " To obtain an instrument rating with multiengine privileges, an applicant must demonstrate competency in a multiengine airplane not limited to center thrust..."

It also goes on to express that you'd be restricted if you took a checkride in a centerline thrust multi as well.

VIK, to answer your original question, since the limitation, "VFR Only" does not show on the multiengine rating, he would have instrument privileges in the multi. However, I know that sometimes, these things get dropped in the process. Did "your friend" have an instrument rating and demonstrate instrument proficiency on the multiengine checkride? Does his certificate read the same as his OKC record?

Latest resources

Back