International Procedures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
iLR60Mac said:
My company has decided to buy a new CL-604. Instead of flying those Intl. trips by airline they have found a justification to buy a new plane and ride in comfort. I just hope it doesn't spoil them beyond recognition. I am just trying to get my hands on some material before going to training. Not only am I to learn a new plane, I will have to go through Intl. training at the same time. A lot to ingest at one time. You know, learning by fire hose method.

There are just two of us in our flight department. Niether one of us has flown the tracks. We have only been to Latin America and Canada so far. Our boss has bought a nice house in Hawaii. Looks like we'll just have to fly to Hawaii. Darn it all!
I wouldn't get all that worried about it...

It's really not that big of a deal. First of all, take a good international procedures course. There are several of them out there in addition to the ones offered by FlightSafety, etc. (Actually, most of what you really need to know is on the North Atlantic Orientation Chart anyway.)

After you've taken the course, call one of the flight planning outfits like Universal. They're going to be doing most of the work for you. All you really need to know is what questions need to be asked.

80% of the effort involved in international flying is done before you ever depart. That's where you do the most work. The remaining 20% (flying the trip) is the easy and enjoyable part. Get a good international checklist and use it. (PM me with your e-mail address and I'll forward a copy of the one I use.) You shouldn't have any issues. Another thing that I highly recommend is to attend the annual International Operators Conference sponsered by the NBAA. It's basically a graduate level international procedures course. I've been to 5 or 6 of them and they are well worth while. Finally, make sure that you have all of the necessary approvals on your LOA.

Enjoy. Maybe we'll see you in Hawaii.

'Sled

Last edited:
iLR60Mac said:
Do any of you have a suggestion or know of any books that explain the know how of international flying? i.e. northern tracks to/from Europe, the pacific rim, ect.

FSI has a good program. I've also heard ATI in the DFW area has an excellent course. I'm thinking about doing a recurrent with them for something different. There are several companies that offer International Procedures. You'll just have to do some investigating and see what might be best for you.

2000Flyer

Hawaii isn't really any different than going across the gulf to florida except you have to make pos. reports.

Whatever you do, don't take the Simuflite International Procedures course. It's absolutely horrendous. Immagine taking about 8 hours of material and stretching out to 5 days. Our class was taught by some shriveled up retired airline guy (big surprise) who'd never, ever, done any of his own flight planning. Never flown corporate. Never flown GA. And they actually bring in a guy to talk about "security". He ends up talking about not getting hotel rooms on the first floor or above the third floor in case you have to jump, and washing your hands for 2 minutes. If they were smart, they'd take away your shoelaces before class.

Back to the topic, I found out from a Hawaiian FSS guy that you don't have to file an ICAO flight plan to HI. I had been told otherwise. Makes it 10X easier if you're not using a handling service.

Latest resources

Back