International Procedures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

iLR60Mac

Do any of you have a suggestion or know of any books that explain the know how of international flying? i.e. northern tracks to/from Europe, the pacific rim, ect.

Do a Google search for MNPSA 5. It is the latest edition of the MNPS manual that has just been published this summer. If you can't find it, PM me with an email address that I can forward to. It has all the information that you will need for the N. Atlanitic ops. I think AC91-70 is the other source for international ops on a world wide basis. This AC is available on the web as well via Google.

Last edited:
If your company is an NBAA member, they have an outstanding manual in CD form. Another very good idea is to get your employer to send you (or your lead captain) to FlightSafety for their International Procedures course.

There is a lot of things that have changed the last few years. The NAT Tracks/NAT MNPS is just one example of specialized airspace and associated procedures. The Central Eastern Pacific (CEPAC) has different procedurs and requirements. In Europe the EC has established a number of RNP specific procedures. The High Polar Route System has it's special needs and the Central/South Atlantic has it's pecularities. Many times the RNP requisite, contingency requirements/actions, RVSM, strategic offset use, and position reporting are different for each FIR and block of airspace.

My suggestion is that you get real good and knowledgeable before you "coast out" into any of the remote/special airspace blocks.

TransMach

ASA has a book on Global Navigation for Pilots. However, the current edition is 1998, so it's very dated.

www.asa2fly.com/product1.asp?SIC=1&product_ID=232%

Most of the major airlines publish booklets for their pilots on the procedures and peculiarites of flying in different regions . . . i.e. South America, North Atlantic, Europe, Pacific Rim, etc. If you have a friend at one of the international majors, perhaps you can get a copy. Of course, those booklets are proprietary and aren't sold to the public.

Also, the side panels of the Jepps Pacific and North Atlantic charts have a good concise synopsis of procedures.

Maybe if we knew the purpose of your question and more specifics, we could help more specifically.

Last edited:
MED said:
Studying for an interview eh?

My company has decided to buy a new CL-604. Instead of flying those Intl. trips by airline they have found a justification to buy a new plane and ride in comfort. I just hope it doesn't spoil them beyond recognition. I am just trying to get my hands on some material before going to training. Not only am I to learn a new plane, I will have to go through Intl. training at the same time. A lot to ingest at one time. You know, learning by fire hose method.

There are just two of us in our flight department. Niether one of us has flown the tracks. We have only been to Latin America and Canada so far. Our boss has bought a nice house in Hawaii. Looks like we'll just have to fly to Hawaii. Darn it all!

iLR60Mac said:
My company has decided to buy a new CL-604. Instead of flying those Intl. trips by airline they have found a justification to buy a new plane and ride in comfort. I just hope it doesn't spoil them beyond recognition. I am just trying to get my hands on some material before going to training. Not only am I to learn a new plane, I will have to go through Intl. training at the same time. A lot to ingest at one time. You know, learning by fire hose method.

There are just two of us in our flight department. Niether one of us has flown the tracks. We have only been to Latin America and Canada so far. Our boss has bought a nice house in Hawaii. Looks like we'll just have to fly to Hawaii. Darn it all!

If you company is not MNPS certified/qualified, you will not be entering the tracks and will have to stay below FL280 while crossing.

FlightSafety/Simuflite International Procedures Training will be all you'll need. The Hawaiian Organizaed Track System is real straight forward. The NAT Tracks is another story. I would suggest that you take an experienced pilot in your jump seat on the first crossing in the NAT Tracks. It's not a bad idea to take an experienced guy with you to Hawaii the first time, it's just not as "necessary" as the NAT.

TransMach

Latest resources

Back