• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

International Pilots and smartphones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Google Voice app for texting and Talkatone app uses your Google Voice number for calls, free internationally if both parties are using Talkatone. Use over wifi with phone in 'airplane' mode.

Use a smart phone and Skype. You can get a refillable option on a $20 deposit for the Skype App on ITunes. It costs 2 cents per minute, and when you go through $20, it automatically charges you $20 to fill it up again. Really easy.

Bye Bye---General Lee

On Androids, once you're in the other country go to 'settings', then 'battery & data manager'. Turn off all data and background data. Then in 'wireless & networks' turn on 'automatic' for network if you have a global phone. Some phones, especially if you are with Sprint, won't work outside the USA. Also, at least with Sprint, you have to call customer service before you leave home and tell them to activate worldwide service, otherwise the foreign networks won't recognize your phone.

There is a charge for texts on Sprint too, 5 cents incoming and 50 cents outgoing. For data, I just use Wi-Fi. Unless you answer a phone call or make one yourself, there isn't a charge for being hooked up to the network.

I just came back from a three-week vacation in Australia, and the phone worked perfectly the whole time. I could choose which calls to answer or texts to send, and used Wi-Fi for data. I also use that for Skype to talk to family & friends back home instead of racking up data charges. Piece of cake.

HAL

Last edited:
Remember when AT&T offered unlimited international data for $60/month? It was a hidden option, but they discontinued it after too many people found out.

I still have and was grandfathered in.:D What a beautiful deal it was. Now skype will work over 3G/4G without wifi and that is very handy. Wished it was still available....ATT wacked it when the Ipad hit the market too free up bandwidth..

Latest resources

Back