Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's App for text messaging

Viber for VOIP and text messaging

As stated before....ensure your mobile data is switched off and only wifi is enabled when out of your plan coverage area.

Remember when AT&T offered unlimited international data for $60/month? It was a hidden option, but they discontinued it after too many people found out.

I use Skype via Wi-Fi. In fact, I've done that domestically as well.

I don't even own a cell phone, let alone a smart phone.

I travel internationally 17 days/mo. and I talk for free on my Netbook, all around the World, via Skype. ( Hours at a time like a teenage girl. )

I do have some Skype minutes I have purchased to talk to folks like my 89 year old step-dad who doesn't have the "interwebs"...and to talk to a few friends that won't sign up and believe that Skype is part of some conspiracy. In 2 years of this type of flying I have spent about $25.00 of Skype time.

Then again, I have met some people that I work with that are spending $300-600 dollars / mo. with their "Smart" phones to keep in touch with friends and family.

I guess having one of these devices doesn't necessarily make one so...

:)

YKW

Last edited:
Magic Jack app works great for me, free and you can call any number in the US except Alaska (not sure about Hawaii) over wifi. I also drop $30 a month on 120MB of Int'l data with AT+T, which is more than adequate for keeping me entertained on the van rides for the month. I do avoid videos unless on wifi though.

Latest resources

Back