• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

International Pilots and smartphones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I keep it in airplane mode and only connect when there is wi fi which isn't hard to find.
One thing is roaming and another totally different is your phone's ability to get on the Internet.....! You have to go to settings and disable roaming..!

I have an iphone 5 and I keep keep it in airplane mode and still get on wifi. In airplane mode it doesn't search for and lock onto a cellular signal. WiFi only.

I have an iphone 5 and I keep keep it in airplane mode and still get on wifi. In airplane mode it doesn't search for and lock onto a cellular signal. WiFi only.

I don't think you need to do that. It doesn't cost you money to receive text messages. Only to send them. Keep "Celular Data" turned off (this prevents roaming charges) and don't send texts or phone calls. If you let the phone log onto the local provider you can still receive messages and not be totally out of touch.

Anyone flying overseas should download whatsapp. Have your family and friends do it too. It allows you to communicate for free using wifi.

Where in the hell is the General? He's the f*cking smartphone master!

He must have left in the basement on his latest 6 day European tour.

Where in the hell is the General? He's the f*cking smartphone master!

He must have left in the basement on his latest 6 day European tour.

The Genny took too much of the ADD meds, the last round of posts drained him of his vim and vigor. He is currently "resting" quietly with one of those long sleeved sweatshirts, with the fashion belts and buckles.

What's App for text messaging

Viber for VOIP and text messaging

As stated before....ensure your mobile data is switched off and only wifi is enabled when out of your plan coverage area.

Airplane mode and call home using Facetime on hotel wifi. You have to habve an all Iphone family though.

WiCall is better than Tango for Voip calling and they give you a free teaser to try it out. If you are a true cheapo, you could just delete and reinstall after each call. $5 two years ago and 100 calls and I still have $2 left, but no caller id inbound to your loved ones...

Latest resources

Back