• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Intereting Article about Spirit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, wishing 500 good guys/gals will get shown the unemployment line. Aren't you just a ray 'o sunshine?

Jobs will not be destroyed if Spirit goes out of business. Jobs will just be created at other airlines.

Wouldn't you rather an additional 500 jobs open up at an airline like Southwest, Delta, or jetBlue and 500 jobs disappear at Spirit? It will be the best for the industry. The only sacrafice will be the small group of pilots at Spirit. We need fewer airlines in this industry. I hope ALPA convinces Spirit pilots to go on strike.

Jobs will not be destroyed if Spirit goes out of business. Jobs will just be created at other airlines.

Wouldn't you rather an additional 500 jobs open up at an airline like Southwest, Delta, or jetBlue and 500 jobs disappear at Spirit? It will be the best for the industry. The only sacrafice will be the small group of pilots at Spirit. We need fewer airlines in this industry. I hope ALPA convinces Spirit pilots to go on strike.

Another Tool. Sounds like your a bottom, career F/O that would like more furlough protection behind you.

I bet you were real happy to see the NW mechanics go on strike so that it would open up a lot of better job opportunities at Delta.

Go back to your Piper Cub, You tool.

Some day when you grow up you might be able to fly airplanes for a living too.

Nah, look at this guy's previous posts; he's been around for awhile and probably worked at NK at one time. He doesn't like someone here or vice versa.

I have to admit that you do have a point. One of the greatest fears here (especially senior CAs) is that ALPA will do just that: let us shut down as an example to other scumbag execs, allow us to collect strike benefits and offer us preferential interviews at other ALPA carriers.

Here's where you have it wrong, though: many of us wouldn't like to work somewhere else. We're not all misfit toys that can't get hired elsewhere. For me, I like the fact that I'm in my early 30s, get 3 or 4 weekends off a month, am able to hold an average of 16-17 days off a month, have never sat reserve, happy with my base, am building longevity for vacation time, fly nice equipment to interesting places, and enjoy the people I work with. If (big IF) we ever get the equipment that's planned, I'll enjoy all of the above in the left seat of an Airbus. Do you know how long it will take to get to that point somewhere else?

There are others here who have even more compelling reasons to stay. This isn't a bad place to work; it's a bad management to work under. Guess what? These guys will move on one day. Hey, they might get their hand in at your carrier...what should we do, shut your's down too?

I agree that we don't need to let anything resembling C9000 see the light of day at any carrier in the US. I believe that's the concensus around here (we'll find out the exact percentage very soon). As I said before, I would just assume walk away before I work under C9000; it wouldn't be the job described above, and I would be better off starting over somewhere else (or doing something else).

That said, do I hope we have do shut it down to prove a point? Hell no. I'd like to keep my job and get compensated fairly for being here.

gator

I don't see pref interviews happening because that is what ALPA promised the Eastern pilots and they all got back-stabbed.

"A.L.P.A.'s locals agreed that if Eastern is eventually sold in pieces, the locals would insure that Eastern pilots got new jobs with their seniority intact. Union members, A.L.P.A. said, will not fly planes or routes previously owned by Eastern unless this condition is met."
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/19/b...ade-at-eastern.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

What actually happened was that ALPA pilots from other airlines publicly supported the Eastern pilots and said they would get them jobs. In secret, they told their management NOT to hire the Eastern pilots. I talked to one pilot who actually saw a letter that was "secretly" written to management of a legacy airline telling them NOT to hire Eastern pilots even though they would publicly say otherwise. How many of you know that the Eastern MEC actually went on "strike" against ALPA national and formed a picket line outside the headquarters?

Pref interviews for Spirit pilots would be nice but I don't think it is realistic. Most airlines are downsizing and furloughing. More importantly, the managment at airlines that do hire in the next few years have no desire to hire a bunch of pilots that went on strike.

True sacrafice is doing something that harms yourself knowing that it will benefit others. What is more important, this industry or your job?

Pref interviews for Spirit pilots would be nice but I don't think it is realistic. Most airlines are downsizing and furloughing. More importantly, the managment at airlines that do hire in the next few years have no desire to hire a bunch of pilots that went on strike.

True sacrafice is doing something that harms yourself knowing that it will benefit others. What is more important, this industry or your job?

First, let's get something straight: if I choose to no longer work here, it's for me-- not for you. If I choose to strike, it's for me--not for you. You can give me lip service all you want about "better for the industry", but you'd do the same thing. Now, I don't want anything resembling C9000 to come to fruition at any US carrier, but my reasons for not wanting to work under it concern me, my family, and my other personal and financial concerns. What you want is not very high on my list of importance right now.

About the pref. interview scenario: I don't believe it would work out, although I think it would be sold to us by ALPA. I think it's very much like flow-through agreements-- you're better off setting off on your own job search.

gator

That management walks all over.

And your point is?

Nobody is immune of a hostile management. Just be happy that it is not happening to you because it can. Things went to arbitration and what could be won was won the rest became homework for the next contract. So yeah NK does have a good QOL contract. Go back to sleep you have a plane to fly at 1AM.

Latest resources

Back