Interesting RJ Event

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Godvek said:
I take it the CRJ does not have auto extend slats in case of a stall. Some planes do.

I don't know of any aircraft that automatically extends slats in a stall. I could be wrong.
Some older aircraft have slats that automatically extend below a certain airspeed above stall (F-86, Saberliner, Me-262, Helio Courier). Is that what you're thinking of?

EagleRJ said:
I don't know of any aircraft that automatically extends slats in a stall. I could be wrong.
Some older aircraft have slats that automatically extend below a certain airspeed above stall (F-86, Saberliner, Me-262, Helio Courier). Is that what you're thinking of?

For starters, the Falcon 50 and 900 series have auto slats. I believe the upcoming 7X will have them as well.

My bad, didn't read your post thoroughly. The Falcon's slats don't actually deploy "in the stall".

Last edited:
EagleRJ said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I have heard the MD-11 and DC-10 also auto extend slats at stick shaker.

rice said:
For starters, the Falcon 50 and 900 series have auto slats. I believe the upcoming 7X will have them as well.

My bad, didn't read your post thoroughly. The Falcon's slats don't actually deploy "in the stall".

The OB slats auto-deploy on the Falcon 10, as well as ignition.

Oh, and the slats are auto on the MD-80 series too.

But back to the issue at hand....

I suspect the airplane reached TOC a bit on the heavy side. Unknow if they had an intermediate level off.

BUT, if .70 was all they could make at 410, they shouldn't have been there....I'll be very interested in seeing the FDR data and the TOC wt data whey they are realeased, then we'll see if the even should have been there.

In any event, aerodynamics ruled the day, and when they encountered the turbulence, they didn't have the boundry margin, and they did they only thing they could....GO DOWN.

Last edited:
73NG has autoslat extension for stall management, but only if they are already partially extended (Flaps 1-5 selected). In other words, only in what would normally be the takeoff or approach to landing configuration, not in a high altitude cruise config.

jackbo said:
If we fail to learn from history, then we are doomed to repeat it.
Oh no, its...Godzilla!

"History shows again and again, how nature points up the folly of men...."

ultrarunner said:
The OB slats auto-deploy on the Falcon 10, as well as ignition.

Oh, and the slats are auto on the MD-80 series too.

But back to the issue at hand....

I suspect the airplane reached TOC a bit on the heavy side. Unknow if they had an intermediate level off.

BUT, if .70 was all they could make at 410, they shouldn't have been there....I'll be very interested in seeing the FDR data and the TOC wt data whey they are realeased, then we'll see if the even should have been there.

In any event, aerodynamics ruled the day, and when they encountered the turbulence, they didn't have the boundry margin, and they did they only thing they could....GO DOWN.

On the MD-80 the slats only extend automatically from mid-slat to full slat during a stall event. If the slats are in Retract, they stay retracted. The slats must be at Mid-Slat for the auto slat extension to Full Slat to occur. It is basically a departure stall type of stall protection feature.

~DC

Thank god these canadians knew what to do with 68 people in the back, and the pinn guys ( gulf scream guys ) only had themselfs to hurt. Just imagine what type of prejudice there would be towards the CRJ if this thing fell out of the sky.

Latest resources

Back