Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Furloughedagain,

I wish I could tell you that Dalpa wouldn't do that, but I honestly have a feeling that if the crap was ready to hit the fan, that Dalpa would grant lower wages on the future 100 seaters,

I remember waiting for our Express 737 at ISP (Long Island) and in came a Mainline 737 without the Express logo. The two guys got out and said they were called in to fly the trip due to a mechanical. In reality--they were getting paid a lot more to fly the same Express trip--and we flew the mainline 737 down to FLL for Express pay...

I forsee a large pay cut for Mainline (you can determine what large is)---and then a lower pay scale for future 100 seaters---which will allow for our furloughs to come back.

You are right, this profession is eroding in front of our eyes. But, as long is there is a chance to eventually move up to a Major and getting that elusive "better pay etc."--it will be worth it. Let's just hope that things eventually get better and we are once again allowed to ask for "raises" instead of negotiating "pay cuts".

Bye Bye--General Lee
General :

You probably felt alot like I do when ASA puts on an "extra section" to cover a 737 cancellation. The departure and arrival times just happen to coincide exactly. It is called "alter ego" although your MEC saw no signs of "operational integration."

As you now know, your MEC will have to negotiate rates using US Air, American's and ASA's rates. A dollar is a dollar to management ( or a bankruptcy Judge ). By allowing alter ego flying, your MEC is in large part responsible for the erosion of our industry.

It is easy for you to be sympathetic to the plight of those below you on the list when you have yours. When, if ever, will ALPA and the Delta MEC realize that they are the reason why pay rates are in free fall and there may not be any up for any of us to move up to before long? I guess you will draw the line at the 777 when you hold the 777.

It is nothing personal. You are the only Delta MEC apologist on the board for us to pick on. Most have given up, or are selling cars now.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
On Your Six said:
I think the Dash 8-400 would work very well in certain markets. Seems like the ATR-72 has worked pretty well for ASA. The Dash has the right number of seats and it has that "big aircraft" feel to it that many RJs (e.g., Emb-135) lack. However, with all of the negotiations going on at Delta, I doubt that Grinstein would seriously consider it unless Bombardier were to offer a HUGE discount -which it might given its own financial problems to get the factories working again.

Great airplane - but perhaps the wrong timing...
Rumors are the ATR leases were extended for the time being. The Dash 8 is a good airplane, but the speed made little difference on ATR routes, while the increased fuel burns and training did is my guess.

I don't see how any of the turboprops beat the ATR unless it is necessary to climb over a mountain. But, the CRJ 700 offsets the cost by reducing training and the costs associated with having another type in the fleet.

BBD would do well to expand the fuselage of the 300Q to increase seat pitch to 33" as it is with the Q400 and put a new engine on it to bump the speed up to match the Q400. No way airlines could pass this up. The Q400 has the same trip cost as a CRJ-200 and the Q300 would match the ERJ-135KE (140). Enough of this long haul Regional BS. Time for the regionals to return to reality.

The reality is the Small RJ boom is over. Time to come back to earth and face the economics. Even the Embraer 170 is burning 600 PPH more than the CRJ-700, and only 900 PPH less than the 717, can't imagine what the 190/195 will burn. Nice big jet, but is carries a nice big fuel bill.

BTW... Break Even pax count on the Q400 is 25-32 seats depending on the fare structure. Meaning, it wound kill the 50 seater under 350 miles even in an over capacity situation. Heck, cut it down to 64 seats and offer an unheard of 36" pitch and still kick their tails. I love RJ's, but it's really over kill right now, and for a 6'4" guys they're a pain.

Last edited:
Longest RJ flight you've done...

Myself,

BOS-STL last week

3:41

150 kt HW

Come on guys - it's the media! They can never make more than two or three sentences be accurate when writing about aviation. It makes you wonder how accurate some of their other stories are too...

Latest resources

Back