• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting MOA encounter with Viper

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would like to think a GA pilot flying through an active MOA is either "clue-do" or a life flight flying the shortest distance between two points. Sh*t happens.
But BAD on the GA pilot who decides to fly through a hot MOA to exercise his "freedoms" and prove a point.

Assuming you survive the collision. I'd rethink this position if I were you. Hopefully somone in your element or division is clearing if you're not going to. This is part of the deal when operating in a MOA isn't it?

No, it's not. Hence why we have specifically designated area's to do it it.

You don't seem to get it, it takes every ounce of concentration and skill to max perform in an engagement. We're not just arcing around with time to spare to look for trolls. We're also on a truncated time table with which to train. I've got a finite amount of time and gas with which to maximize the utility for the tax payers dollar (about an hour). When we have to stop for 10 minutes, we lose the entire sortie. Figure that in at $5K to fill up a Hornet. Hence why we have MILITARY operation areas. For those that don't know how to pick up and read the AIM... let me help.

3-4-5. Military Operations Areas
a. MOAs consist of airspace of defined vertical and lateral limits established for the purpose of separating certain military training activities from IFR traffic. Whenever a MOA is being used, nonparticipating IFR traffic may be cleared through a MOA if IFR separation can be provided by ATC. Otherwise, ATC will reroute or restrict nonparticipating IFR traffic.
b. Examples of activities conducted in MOAs include, but are not limited to: air combat tactics, air intercepts, aerobatics, formation training, and low-altitude tactics. Military pilots flying in an active MOA are exempted from the provisions of 14 CFR Section 91.303(c) and (d) which prohibits aerobatic flight within Class D and Class E surface areas, and within Federal airways. Additionally, the Department of Defense has been issued an authorization to operate aircraft at indicated airspeeds in excess of 250 knots below 10,000 feet MSL within active MOAs.
c. Pilots operating under VFR should exercise extreme caution while flying within a MOA when military activity is being conducted. The activity status (active/inactive) of MOAs may change frequently. Therefore, pilots should contact any FSS within 100 miles of the area to obtain accurate real-time information concerning the MOA hours of operation. Prior to entering an active MOA, pilots should contact the controlling agency for traffic advisories.
d. MOAs are depicted on sectional, VFR Terminal Area, and Enroute Low Altitude charts.

No, it's not. Hence why we have specifically designated area's to do it it.

You don't seem to get it, it takes every ounce of concentration and skill to max perform in an engagement. We're not just arcing around with time to spare to look for trolls. We're also on a truncated time table with which to train. I've got a finite amount of time and gas with which to maximize the utility for the tax payers dollar (about an hour). When we have to stop for 10 minutes, we lose the entire sortie. Figure that in at $5K to fill up a Hornet. Hence why we have MILITARY operation areas. For those that don't know how to pick up and read the AIM... let me help.

Sig, I do get it. Though I don't fly fighters, I've done numerous low altitude 2 v 1 engagements with fighters in MOAs. I'm well aware of the concentration and skill it takes to effectively train in an engagement. I'm also aware of the possibility of GA clowns plowing through the area when I'm doing it. During my pre-brief, the possibility of unbriefed aircraft entering the area is discussed. I don't then dismiss that possibility once the fight's on. As I said before, if you ignore that possibility, you do so at your own peril.

I also agree with the fact that lost training opportunities suck. But if someone is flying through an active MOA, they're not thinking about you and your training - they're most likely not thinking at all. It's the military, however. Lost training opportunities are a fact of life. As are civilians flying through active MOAs.

1. An MOA is shared airspace.
2. Both parties are entitled to be there.
3. Both parties have an obligation to see and avoid.
4. Neither party has the right to aggressively pursue the other one.
5. Neither party can legally fly in formation unless prior coordination is made.

If you're the one doing performance maneauvers it is your responsibility to make sure the area is clear. The guy flying straight and level has the responsibility to make sure where he's going is clear. It sounds like both parties did their part. The Viper called off whatever he was doing and the civilian was monitoring the area and his TCAS. Everything was good to go until the fighter stud decided to imitate Maverick. Bad call on his part. Sounds like his frustration turned into 'air rage'. Not good. I expect better judgement and a cooler head from someone charged with flying a multizillion dollar hotrod that could be loaded with all kinds of death and destruction.

You have GOT to be kidding me! This argument has been had time and time again and the bottom line is, YOU ARE RISKING OUR LIVES BY FLYING THROUGH AN ACTIVE MOA!!!

At 400+ kts with a formation my ability to see and avoid is in the matter of seconds and with restricted ability to manuever becomes almost impossible. If someone enters the MOA I have to stop and try to VID the guy. We have tracked down tail numbers and sent letters to civies saying that they almost died because they wandered into a practice dogfight.

I think all MOA's should become restricted areas, but that will never happen, so I offer a solution. If a MOA is active try your best not to fly through it. If you have to for operational reasons like pipline survey or something similar then call the squadrons that use it at let them know you'll be there, what altitude, track, and times. I have no problem using another MOA if availiable or restricting myself to a certain corner if able.

Chances are civies won't do this, why? Because they still want to prove their RIGHT to be there and are too lazy to make it safe for all of us.

Safety is the number one priority. I'm willing to make help out, are you?

Then I recommend you never fly VFR.

I'm on an IFR clearance in the MOA.

Are you willing to call the squadrons when you are going to penetate the MOA? If not, then I assume you are are not commited to safety enough to be anywhere near me.

I'm on an IFR clearance in the MOA.

Are you willing to call the squadrons when you are going to penetate the MOA? If not, then I assume you are are not commited to safety enough to be anywhere near me.

How about on MTRs? VRs? You never fly VFR? Most fighter type aircraft fly VFR at some point. And they fly at 400+ knots and they have to be able to see and avoid and manuever if necessary. You seemed to indicate that you weren't able to do that very well.

How about on MTRs? VRs? You never fly VFR? Most fighter type aircraft fly VFR at some point. And they fly at 400+ knots and they have to be able to see and avoid and manuever if necessary. You seemed to indicate that you weren't able to do that very well.

And we file VR routes under IFR control on an IFR flight plan. You need to go back and relearn just what exactly the difference is between an IR and VR route, not what rules you're under when you're on it.

You know nothing about tactical aviation, so why are you arguing?

MTR's should be avoided as well, much easier to do then a MOA. I'm looking for obsticles while flying at 400+ kts on MTR's so the see and avoid is easier. In a MOA while doing tactical work or formation, where I have to divide my attention between inside and my possibly solo wingman and have very limited ability to manuever, seeing a 172 and having time to avoid him becomes alot more difficult and less safe for everybody.

Again, are you willing to call the squadrons and tell us you are going to be there so we CAN brief properly and avoid being anywhere near you if at all possible?

Hey sig!!

1. An MOA is shared airspace.
2. Both parties are entitled to be there.
3. Both parties have an obligation to see and avoid.
4. Neither party has the right to aggressively pursue the other one.
5. Neither party can legally fly in formation unless prior coordination is made.

If you're the one doing performance maneauvers it is your responsibility to make sure the area is clear. The guy flying straight and level has the responsibility to make sure where he's going is clear. It sounds like both parties did their part. The Viper called off whatever he was doing and the civilian was monitoring the area and his TCAS. Everything was good to go until the fighter stud decided to imitate Maverick. Bad call on his part. Sounds like his frustration turned into 'air rage'. Not good. I expect better judgement and a cooler head from someone charged with flying a multizillion dollar hotrod that could be loaded with all kinds of death and destruction.

Congrats, you've made the dumbest comment on in this thread. If thats the case, why the fvck do we have MILITARY OPERATIONS AREA'S.

It's all in the name.

Latest resources

Back