• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airspeed

[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]F-16 Encounter Angers Pilots[/FONT]

f16_luke-afb.jpg
The FAA says it will likely investigate the complaints of a couple of pilots who say they were intercepted and shadowed, at close range, by an F-16 over Arizona earlier this month. Pilatus PC-12 pilot Patrick McCall and Beech Premier pilot Scott Laromee have both filed near-collision reports with the agency after they say they were aggressively pursued by an F-16 on March 21 in the Gladden Military Operations Area, a training area used by pilots from Luke Air Force Base near Phoenix. The area is open for use by civilian aircraft. In a podcast interview with AVweb, McCall said that when his TCAS activated about 10 a.m. that day while he was cruising at 16,500 (VFR with flight following) he ended up having to dive his aircraft as the target kept closing on him. The target followed him in the dive and when McCall leveled at about 14,000 feet, he was amazed by the view from his side window. “I then looked to my left side of the aircraft and saw an F16 aircraft off of my left wing,” he said in a written report sent to the FAA. “The F16 was no more than 20 feet off of my left wing.” AVweb contacted the media relations department of Luke Air Force Base on Friday and provided copies of both McCall’s and Laromee’s complaints but military officials did not respond to our request for comment by our deadline on Sunday.

Laromee declined detailed comment on the incident but he did confirm that it occurred and that he is demanding answers. “There are a lot of people getting involved in this. It’s not going to get swept under,” he told AVweb. According to McCall, after pacing his aircraft for a few moments, the F-16 accelerated vertically. A few minutes later, he said, he heard another pilot on the radio reporting a TCAS alert and announcing he was starting the vertical climb commanded by the TCAS gear to avoid what appeared to be an imminent collision. McCall said the other pilot then reported an F-16 pacing him at a range of only about 10 feet. The two pilots exchanged contact information over the radio and both reported the incident to the FAA when they were back on the ground. FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said the reports haven’t made their way through the bureaucracy yet but, assuming they do, the agency will look into the complaints. “The FAA would certainly want to know about an alleged incident like this. We likely would do an investigation, although the FAA does not have the authority to take action against a military pilot,” Gregor said. “The most we could do would be to send our investigation package to the military and rely on them to take appropriate action.” McCall said he’s contacted the military and is not satisfied with the response he received.

Related Content:
Audio interview with Pilatus pilot Patrick McCall

well then I guess this dumba$$ shouldn't be flying in an active MOA....

Seriously? Just because a GA guy is a dumba** excuses a PROFESSIONAL pilot from being one too? We'll see how this pans out, but IF what these guys are saying is true, then the F-16 pilot was way out of line. Sounds like serious judgement issues.

I still wonder why these guys insist on doing this. He's a commercially rated instrument pilot who owns his own PC-12, and should know better. Maybe he trusts the ejection seat in his Pilatus.

The F16s in the LUF area wave their wings at me all of the time.

I think it's great.

I can't help but wonder if this guy wasn't flying in or near the TFR for the F16 crash from earlier this month.

Everytime I fly into the PHX area I am amazed at all the guys flying high performance turbine aircraft VFR at 17500, 16500, etc. I don't get it.

Seems to me that in this case they guy didn't want to be bothered with a vector around the MOA while on an IFR flight plan so he just goes VFR and blasts right through it, and then has the nerve to bitch about a visit from an F-16.

What a jacka$$.

I think too many of you seem enamored with Tom Cruise and the whole Mav persona a little too much. Doesn't matter what kind of day this particular fighter pilot was having, or what kind of idiots those two civ pilots were being. The fact that a USAF pilot thought it was a good idea to intercept and fly wingtip with two strangers when he didn't have to is the point here. Anyone who applauds this type of action is a moron, and probably shouldn't be flying. Plain and simple.

That's what Vipers do... intercept. If both are VFR was any aviation law broken? The Viper guy probably didn't think about the TCAS going off on a VFR aircraft. I used to practice intercepts on civilians and they never knew I was there.

Whoa Nellie

Lighten up Deuce. Any "professional" pilot that is dumb enough to plow through an active MOA shouldn't be surprised if he gets a "tail # check" from a fighter. F-16s do visual IDs on aircraft all the time in counter narcotic missions, Air Defense missions and basic intercept training. I've been in a MOA while in contact with a mil controller who asked me to ID an aircraft and get a tail # for their report. I'm also willing to bet that their 10 ft is probably more like 100 ft. or much more. I'm not applauding it nor justifying it, but I'm not going to Monday-morning-quarterback or condemn anything until I hear "the rest of the story." It's not always black and white.

I am a civilian pilot by trade and NEVER fly through active MOA's.

years ago when i was a boomer, we were out in colorado in an active moa AT NIGHT working with 2 4ships out of buckley (doing BFM crap) and some DUMBA** came cruising through VFR and nearly traded paint with a tanker w/ 4 chics in tow (we got an RA). . . If you fly into an active MOA vfr, I have no sympathy. . .

Latest resources

Back