Interesting encounter with a TSA agent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

No Delay

We had an interesting encounter with a TSA agent this morning. Apparently, he was a supervisor or at least higher than the guys at the metal detectors.

When we arrived at the airplane (dark:30) this morning...he was there inspecting the airplane. He then wanted to board and observe the flight attendant and asked several questions about the flight deck.

The capt. contacted company...and they had never heard of anyone from TSA doing that. The capt then stopped him until he contacted our company and we got some type of approval (which seemed to make the guy nervous). Of course, he did contact the company while we were all together and explained who he was and what he was doing.

We checked our company manual and could not find any mention of a TSA agent having access to the airplane.

My impression was this guy was just impressed by his badge was looking for ways to show it to other people.

Any takes on this? Any experiences like this?

I've heard of way high up TSA Inspectors walking around airport ramps and observing pax loading and unloading. These inspectors are the ones who can fine you for walking around without SIDA bagdes. Also they have Deptatment of Homeland Security ID (they look like FBI, Secret Service or FFDO ID).

I vaguely remmeber something to the fact that a TSA agent may board an aircraft to inspect, if the cabin door is already open, regardless of whether anyone is onboard. They may not open the door themselves. Same thing with cargo; if the cargo door(s) are already open, TSA my inspect inside. They also can't surcumvent that by asking someone else, like a ramper to open the door and then go inside. It has to already be opened when they show up at the airplane. Same thing with access panels; they may not open any panels on an aircraft. They can inspect inside if that panel is already open.

Last edited:
Sounds like your right......seems like he is looking to be a hero by finding things he isnt even trainied to do.Theres nothing wrong with going above and beyond.......but making stuff up and stepping out of his authority ( which i dont know for sure if he did) warrants a complaint to both your comapny and his supervisor.

Im sure he does not know the exact duties ot the FA/ or the flight crew and has ZERO authority to critique/inspect this process. I guess we dont know what type of other duties and responsibilites have been placed on them.......

but id kick him off the airplane until he can show me in writing what he is doing.....see ya deputy dog......btw where did this happen?

Curious. Was he a uniformed guy or a suit and tie guy? Some of the suit and tie guys are LEOs, I think. At any rate, it's strange.

He was suit and tie. Had the FBI looking ID.

He was nice about everything. We showed him that our manual didn't give TSA access to the cockpit (from our jumpseat section - it was all I could find at the moment). He agreed and said they could not enter the cockpit.

After he talked with company, he said he had seen enough and was gone.

Like I said, he was nice and it really wasn't an issue. Just strange.

When you do this just about everyday over the past several years and have never seen or heard of this being done...just caught us as strange.

Unfortunately, we are not always kept in the loop. TSA has a broad range of authority and can do many things that are not in our manuals. One can appreciate that mission if the reasonableness rule and the need is justifiable. If there is no reasonable cause to exercise some of those broad authorities, then the authority can be easily abused. You have only seen the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully, over time, their authority will become less broad. Report it to your company in writing so there is a paper trail and request the reason this TSA agent was exercising this authority. There should be an answer if his actions were legitimate and within the boundaries of his authority.

Sounds like he might have been testing your willingness to let someone on without doing your homework. Perhaps if you had NOT called company nor referenced your manuals he would have had a problem.

Think about it, half those TSA d!pshts wouldn't know a security problem if it ran them over. They are just a bunch of losers that are too lazy and stupid to work at Wendy's. I had the same thing happen, two TSA dorks wanted on board to do an "inspection". I told them there is nothing I know of in our manuals and that I would check on it and let them know, after 25 minutes of waiting at the bottom of the stairs they gave up and left.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back