Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Borat Sagdiyev

Registered Gypsy Catcher
I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me. I'm a turboprop captain at a large regional. I enjoy my job, but lately I've been looking to see what else is out there for a single young man. I am looking to move on to a job where I can have some fun and see some interesting places. I've traveled extensively since I was very young, and I think it would be a blast to do it flying the Boeing 747. Hence, my interest in Kalitta. I have the following questions.

• How do you Kalitta Air pilots like the maintenance over there?
  • How do you like the management?
  • Do you know of many former regional airline pilots being hired there? As an aside, I have a little over 900 hours of SIC jet. My other qualifications in a nutshell are on my profile.
  • Where does most of KA's business come from?
  • Could someone explain the basing system over there?
  • Does Kalitta Air have a probationary system for new pilots?
I've done some searches on Kalitta on the board, and I appreciate the information shared by those who've responded, and who will respond. I'm single and I don't mind being away from home at all. Thanks for any responses, private or on the board.

• How do you Kalitta Air pilots like the maintenance over there? No comment yet...
  • How do you like the management? The people I've met seem cool. But I dont have much experience at the company yet.
  • Do you know of many former regional airline pilots being hired there? As an aside, I have a little over 900 hours of SIC jet. My other qualifications in a nutshell are on my profile. I think they hired one guy that only had turbo-prop experience but he did have a few thousand hours PIC. Are you a captain?
  • Where does most of KA's business come from? ALL over... we have one mail contract for the soldiers in the sandbox but there are tons of people banging on our doors wondering when that will end so they can use the planes we have commited to that.
  • Could someone explain the basing system over there? Right now technically everyones based in YIP (detroit) but people live literally all over the world. After the new contract goes through we will all be homebased.
  • Does Kalitta Air have a probationary system for new pilots? yep, one year.

XFr8dog,

Thanks for your response. I am a captain on the ATR-72. I've also been a captain on the EMB-120. I have about 740 hours of turboprop PIC. It's not much, but I was displaced out of the left seat once.
Someone mentioned that going up to KYIP and walking in a resume might be fruitful. I do have a few friends up that way I've been meaning to visit. What do you think?

Did you just show up or did you call first? Is Richard Hagquist still chief pilot over there?

Last edited:
Twotter76 said:
Did you just show up or did you call first? Is Richard Hagquist still chief pilot over there?

That is what I would like to know, but most companies don't like phone calls from prospective employees.
And yes, Richard Hagquist is still the CP.

Jump Seat

I've checked out the teamsters site on Kalitta Air's jump seats and my question is do they have any benefits for Kalitta pilot's family members or spouses. Can family ride on Kalitta planes? Does Kalitta have benefits with othere airlines that allow spouses to ride on say, southwest or others?

thanks for the info

any new update on the contract?

Jumpseat for family you say.Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Sorry, couldn't help myself.:rolleyes: ;)

thanks for that.

Latest resources

Back