Insight into the Continental Referral Process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CAL EWR B737

The third pilot I sponsored started new hire class at Continental yesterday. I'll give you a short recap of what I have learned assisting my buddies getting hired at Continental.

The pilot referral process is a two step process.

1: Applicant fills out a referral form through the on-line application system and the on-line system generates an email to the sponsor. Sponsor fills out referral and e-mails response back into the application system. Based on my experience talking with many of our pilots referring their buddies this where most sponsors fall short and take no further action. Unfortunately I have learned the next step is just as important as the first step.

2: Sponsor goes into local base Chief Pilot office and discusses applicant with his/her supervisor. Assistant Chief Pilot or Chief Pilot essentially interviews sponsor about applicant. In a nut shell they are looking for someone you have known for a significant period of time. It's not mandatary to have flown with individual but it is a plus. If the sponsor has recently met the applicant or the applicant is an acquaintance or friend of a friend, etc., more than likely Continental will not offer an interview. In previous hiring periods these types of referrals were accepted but unfortunately they no longer are considered. The Chief Pilot then has the ability to go into the on-line application and add comments to the sponsors referral. The chief pilots comments about both the applicant and the sponsor are directly related to the applicants chances on receiving an interview. I was told by the EWR Chief Pilot "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." He stated they take a close look at the sponsor i.e.: work history, reputation etc. He also said that without a Chief pilot refferal added to the sponsors refferal it is unlikely at this time one would receive an interview. My friends all received interviews within a few weeks of my visit to the Chief Pilot Office.

I have been told over and over throughout the process of helping my buddies, essentially the sponsor is putting his/her reputation on the line for the applicant. Should the new pilot have problems in training or during problems during probation the sponsor will be called in to intercede and help his/her buddy.

A huge plus in this whole process is the sponsor is the one who notifies his/her buddy if they are have successfully completed the interview process and offers an employment offer. Without a doubt the most gratifying moments in my eighteen year career at Continental was hiring my three buddies. Hope this info helps.

Last edited:
Are you Neil and Bob, or is that, like, what you do?

--Sorry no offense, I just couldn't resist...

CAL EWR B737 said:
The third pilot I sponsored started new hire class at Continental yesterday. I'll give you a short recap of what I have learned assisting my buddies getting hired at Continental.

The pilot referral process is a two step process.

1: Applicant fills out a referral form through the on-line application system and the on-line system generates an email to the sponsor. Sponsor fills out referral and e-mails response back into the application system. Based on my experience talking with many of our pilots referring their buddies this where most sponsors fall short and take no further action. Unfortunately I have learned the next step is just as important as the first step.

2: Sponsor goes into local base Chief Pilot office and discusses applicant with his/her supervisor. Assistant Chief Pilot or Chief Pilot essentially interviews sponsor about applicant. In a nut shell they are looking for someone you have known for a significant period of time. It's not mandatary to have flown with individual but it is a plus. If the sponsor has recently met the applicant or the applicant is an acquaintance or friend of a friend, etc., more than likely Continental will not offer an interview. In previous hiring periods these types of referrals were accepted but unfortunately they no longer are considered. The Chief Pilot then has the ability to go into the on-line application and add comments to the sponsors referral. The chief pilots comments about both the applicant and the sponsor are directly related to the applicants chances on receiving an interview. I was told by the EWR Chief Pilot "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." He stated they take a close look at the sponsor i.e.: work history, reputation etc. He also said that without a Chief pilot refferal added to the sponsors refferal it is unlikely at this time one would receive an interview. My friends all received interviews within a few weeks of my visit to the Chief Pilot Office.

I have been told over and over throughout the process of helping my buddies, essentially the sponsor is putting his/her reputation on the line for the applicant. Should the new pilot have problems in training or during problems during probation the sponsor will be called in to intercede and help his/her buddy.

A huge plus in this whole process is the sponsor is the one who notifies his/her buddy if they are have successfully completed the interview process and offers an employment offer. Without a doubt the most gratifying moments in my eighteen year career at Continental was hiring my three buddies. Hope this info helps.

Happy to hear that you could get people on there...but what about us stuck at XJT? Will this theory still hold? I have several Cpts there willing to walk my stuff in. Many PIPs/Flowbacks that I 've flown with have offered the same. I'm just curious how this will work when all of the PIPs are over to CAL. I have a B.S. in Marketing with a minor in Psych, 6000ishTT,2000ish in Turbine PIC, clean record, wife and a dog!! I'm not bitter, just wondering what the chances of CAL dipping into XJT for newhires after the PIPs are there.

Now if USair would start hiring again I could get rid of the commute!:D

In senority order, you'll have to leave XJT and them apply at CO to go any faster. Thats what I've learned from some of the other boards.

According to the XJT MEC guys, we're not absolutley sure what will happen with XJT guys after the PIP group is gone. The rumors are that they will start interviewing XJT guys other than the PIP guys sometime late this year or early in 06. There is no talk of getting interviews in seniority order. Basically if you are not a PIP pilot and you would like to work at CAL, fill out the app and get the process started. Working at XJT is suppose to help you get the interview over someone off the street. However, if you work at XJT and have no internal references, someone who is not from XJT with good internal references would probably have the upper hand. So if you work at XJT and you are not part of the PIP group, fill out the app, get your references all lined up, have one of them talk to a CP, and hope for the best. I don't think anyone will know how many of us they will hire until the process starts.

That's what I thought..just wondering about CAL EWR B737 post...seems like a ton of Capts at XJT would have internal recommendations. With his theory, the top half of XJT that wants to go there would/should get hired.

CAL EWR B737 said:
Not sure I understand your question? Not sure who Bob is but I do know about the Neil you are referring too.

I think he was refereing to my quest for a sponsor. Too much kneeling and bobbing on my part. I hope he realizes I was joking as well. Well not really but anyway...

foreverfo said:
Happy to hear that you could get people on there...but what about us stuck at XJT? Will this theory still hold? I have several Cpts there willing to walk my stuff in. Many PIPs/Flowbacks that I 've flown with have offered the same. I'm just curious how this will work when all of the PIPs are over to CAL. I have a B.S. in Marketing with a minor in Psych, 6000ishTT,2000ish in Turbine PIC, clean record, wife and a dog!! I'm not bitter, just wondering what the chances of CAL dipping into XJT for newhires after the PIPs are there.

Now if USair would start hiring again I could get rid of the commute!:D

I wish I could answer your question honestly I don't know the answer. We do have some sort of preferential interview clause in the latest contract for CAL connection carriers.

I didn't want to get into union politics on this board. However we certainly could have negotiated a new flow through, unfortunately our selfish Negotiating Committee and CAL MEC didn't feel it was in there own best personal interest. OK enough of the union BS.

Personally I would think once the PIP is complete with your qualifications and references you should be offered an opportunity. Unfortunately I'm not the one who makes such decisions, just a line puke but a huge supporter of the XJT guys. Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back