• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Initial CFI question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe it is possible to take the ride as a combined CFI/CFII, however it still requires two 8710 forms and therefore your examiner will likely charge you the same as two rides. What you risk is a bust on both rides.... go with the normal routine and schedule one after the other.

As my old Chief Pilot told me once: "Boy you got more balls than brains!"

Yup, you can take your initial CFI ride for the CFI-I instaed of the CFI-A and you don't need a complex airplane to do it.

The airplane you need is based on the PTS for the ride you take. You won't see any "complex" tasks in the double-I PTS.

Thanks all.. We had an issue with our complex aircraft that is going to keep her down for almost a month. I have 3 CFI candidates and I was hoping that I can get them to do the initial CFI as II.

Remember that you need spin training even if its CFII...anything initial needs spin training... Somehow I showed up for my initial without spin training endorsement!

SPilot said:
anything initial needs spin training
Nope, you don't need spin training, or a complex, those are required for a Flight Instructor - Airplane rating.
FAR 61.183(i) "...for a flight instructor certificate with an airplane or glider rating..."
For the aircraft needed for the checkride, look in the front of the appropriate PTS.

nosehair said:
Nope, you don't need spin training, or a complex, those are required for a Flight Instructor - Airplane rating.
FAR 61.183(i) "...for a flight instructor certificate with an airplane or glider rating..."
For the aircraft needed for the checkride, look in the front of the appropriate PTS.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I did MEI initial. Thats why :)

I agree with you nosehair, although I'm a bit concerned that since 61.183(i) says "an airplane..rating," and the CFII is a CFI with an "instrument airplane" rating, it could easily be interpreted (or misinterpreted) on the operational level so that the spin endorsement is required.

That's especially true with the issue about whether a CFII with only an instrument airplane rating may teach instruments in an airplane being the mess that it is. If he bottom line ends up being that a CFI-Instrument Airplane alone entitles an instructor to teach instruments in an airplane, it's not much of a stretch to say that the spin endorsement requirement needs to be met for that rating.

midlifeflyer said:
I agree with you nosehair, although I'm a bit concerned that since 61.183(i) says "an airplane..rating," and the CFII is a CFI with an "instrument airplane" rating, it could easily be interpreted (or misinterpreted) on the operational level so that the spin endorsement is required.

That's especially true with the issue about whether a CFII with only an instrument airplane rating may teach instruments in an airplane being the mess that it is. If he bottom line ends up being that a CFI-Instrument Airplane alone entitles an instructor to teach instruments in an airplane, it's not much of a stretch to say that the spin endorsement requirement needs to be met for that rating.

Midlifeflyer is correct. Most examiners will not require a spin endorsement. As a DPE I do not require a spin endorsement for an initial CFI-I checkride but there are other DPE's I know of that think that such an endorsement is necessary. In that case you must go by what they say or find another examiner/FAA inspector.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back