Initial CFI Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airline Driver said:
If you got your 1ST class Medical January 2004, then it turned to a second class medical on July 31st 2004 and then a 3rd class medical Feb 1st 2005. As of now you cannot use your commercial license let alone a CFI because you only have a 3rd class medical.

Actually to CFI and act as a PIC, you only need a 3rd class medical, so you're good to go with your 3rd class privileges. Remember, it's still a 1st class medical...but you can't use your 1st class privileges anymore.

And for the checkride in an aircraft you only need the 3rd class also.

You should be fine. Now...to use your commercial privileges? Different story.

-mini

did my CFI checkride with a 1st class downgraded to 3rd class, completely legal....expect questions of this sort on the technical questions section.

minitour said:
Actually to CFI and act as a PIC, you only need a 3rd class medical, so you're good to go with your 3rd class privileges. Remember, it's still a 1st class medical...but you can't use your 1st class privileges anymore.

And for the checkride in an aircraft you only need the 3rd class also.

You should be fine. Now...to use your commercial privileges? Different story.

-mini

Wow your right! It's been a while. I just went back and did some review in part 61. Some things have changed slightly. The only time you would need a second class medical is if Instructing for $$$$. Then you would be utilizing your commercial license.. At least for powered aircraft.

Sorry for the failure. I was lucky enough to take my initial with my DPE. I was having nightmares about a going to the FSDO...That reminds me I should send those very helpful FSDO guys a Christmas Card.

Airline Driver said:
The only time you would need a second class medical is if Instructing for $$$$. Then you would be utilizing your commercial license.. At least for powered aircraft.

There's something out there (an AC, legal interpretation, something) that says not so.

I always believed this was the case until I read (whatever it was...), but when you're charging for CFI services, they are just that..flight instructor services.

I know of a few instructors that I've talked to recently who are giving dual, charging and don't have valid 2nd class privileges.

You're only using your commercial privileges if flying (as a required crew member) for compensation or hire.

But for instructing you only need a 3rd class Medical if you're acting as PIC. Giving dual to primary students, instrument students in IMC on a flight plan/clearance, complex/hp/altitude endorsement flights, etc.

-mini

minitour said:
There's something out there (an AC, legal interpretation, something) that says not so.

I always believed this was the case until I read (whatever it was...), but when you're charging for CFI services, they are just that..flight instructor services.

I know of a few instructors that I've talked to recently who are giving dual, charging and don't have valid 2nd class privileges.

You're only using your commercial privileges if flying (as a required crew member) for compensation or hire.

But for instructing you only need a 3rd class Medical if you're acting as PIC. Giving dual to primry students, instrument students in IMC on a flight plan/clearance, complex/hp/altitude endorsement flights, etc.

-mini

I would need to see this article. I am not saying your wrong but If I am not mistaken, does the rule not say when flying for compensation "OR" hire. When flight instructing, unless your doing a favor for a friend, your flying for compensation which would then require a commercial license and a second class medical. You may not be a crewmember as a CFI but your still flying for $$$ and that requires a commercial license and second class medical.

If you could find this article I would like to read it.

Last edited:
Airline Driver said:
I would need to see this article. I am not saying your wrong but If I am not mistaken, does the rule not say when flying for compensation "OR" hire. When flight instructing, unless your doing a favor for a friend, your flying for compensation which would then require a commercial license and a second class medical.

If you could find this article I would like to read it.

Looking...if I can't find whatever it is, I'm sure avbug has it or knows where it is.

The interpretation was that you weren't "Flying" for compensation or hire, you were "instructing" for compensation and that those were two different things.

I'll see if I can find and post it.

-mini

minitour said:
Looking...if I can't find whatever it is, I'm sure avbug has it or knows where it is.

The interpretation was that you weren't "Flying" for compensation or hire, you were "instructing" for compensation and that those were two different things.

I'll see if I can find and post it.

-mini

Mini,

I found the answerer, 61.23 has all of the conditions and stipulations. You are absolutely correct!! You do not need a medical "PERIOD", if giving instruction to someone who is acting as Pilot-in Command. If you are giving instruction to a student and the CFI is acting as Pilot-In-Command, then you only need a 3rd class medical.

I called AOPA for a better interpretation of the reg, and they also agreed with your statement. I will admit, that when I got my original CFI back in 1991, back then you needed at least a second class medical. The rule changed somewhere in 97 or 98 sometime.

The difference is you are not providing "transportation" in the aircraft your providing "Instruction" in the aircraft.. That is the difference. That is what you said in the beginning and you are absolutely correct!!!

Good Catch!!!

Airline Driver said:
The difference is you are not providing "transportation" in the aircraft your providing "Instruction" in the aircraft.. That is the difference.

Good answer for an oral (hint hint for anyone that does their CFI in the OKC area....).

-mini

Latest resources

Back