Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Almerick07 said:
nope, no 3 hour rule

Sweet! I can't afford to do another flight to reach the 3 hour mark. I am using all of the $$$ I have to pay for the flight for the checkride. I'm also happy that the FAA examiner doesn't have a fee.

kneeshoe said:
I don't ever recall coming across that.
You will notice, under the Eligibility, Knowledge, and Proficiency area of the FAR's for the CFI, (61.183 - 61.187) there is no Experience (flight hours) requirement, like there is for all other Pilot Certificates. Like 61.109 for Private lists the hours, which includes the 3 hours within 60 days requirement.
However, don't overlook 61.39, which lists, among other things, "...has received and logged training time within the previous 60 days." So, some dual preparation time has to be within the past 60 days.

Practiced maneuvers for about 10 hours from the right seat during my commercial training aced the flying portion of the CFI.

Yet another question

I came across another question in studying for my checkride. Here it is:

I got a first class medical in January of 2004 (under age 40). Say I pass the checkride on Friday; can I act as a CFI as soon as I finish, or do I have to go get myself a first or second class medical?

RELAX!!!!!!! That is the best advice to give. At this point, if you do not know the material your best bet is to postpone the "ride". You are psyching yourself out by thinking of every little detail possible. There's no need to give yourself a heart attack before your ride, that is what the students are for. So just relax, I'm sure you know the material, and enjoy the experience. If for some reason you not happen to pass, do some extra training, and ace it the second time!!!! The best of luck to ya!!!!!:beer:

say again said:
RELAX!!!!!!! That is the best advice to give. At this point, if you do not know the material your best bet is to postpone the "ride".

You're right, I really do need to just relax. The more I keep studying, the more questions I come up with, and the less I think I actually know. I've already had the checkride postponed twice (not by choice), but each time it happens I have a sigh of relief. But if anyone has an answer to the last question I posted, I'm still a little confused. Thanks for the responses everyone!

kneeshoe said:
I came across another question in studying for my checkride. Here it is:

I got a first class medical in January of 2004 (under age 40). Say I pass the checkride on Friday; can I act as a CFI as soon as I finish, or do I have to go get myself a first or second class medical?

According to my flight instructor buddy, you should be just fine with a 3rd class medical. It's been 4 years since I've instructed, and I can't even remember my flights for today. Hope it helps, and if I'm wrong (actually my buddy would be), I apologize!!!!

kneeshoe said:

People have told me that yes, I can instruct, but I found something else. 61.23 (a)(2) says, "Must hold at least a second-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate." Part 119.1(e)(1) says that a commerical pilot can conduct "student instruction"

Anyone have any other interpretations?

When do you need a medical as a CFI?

14 CFR 61.23

(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person--
(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate -
(iv) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate, except for a flight instructor certificate with a glider category rating or sport pilot rating, if the person is acting as pilot in command or is serving as a required flight crewmember

(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a valid medical certificate--
(5) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate if the person is not acting as pilot in command or serving as a required pilot flight crewmember

How long is it valid?

(d) Duration of a medical certificate.
(1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of -
(iii) The period specified in paragraph (d)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.

(3) A third-class medical certificate for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate issued -
(i) Before September 16, 1996, expires at the end of the 24th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate; or
(ii) On or after September 16, 1996, expires at the end of:
(A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or
(B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of the examination.

So, to summarize:

To be a CFI and act as PIC - third class medical or medical certificate that allows you to exercise third class privileges.

To be a CFI and not act as PIC (i.e. teaching a commercial student in an aircraft in which he is already rated, he is PIC) - no medical required.

First class medical is good for third class privileges for 36 calendar months.

To answer your question:

Yes, you can act as a CFI as soon as you pass your checkride. But you better know Part 61 if you want to pass the checkride.

Latest resources

Back