Initial CFI Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Busted

FOI. Drilled me for 3 hours on just the FOI until he decided to bust me. It was pretty rough. I thought I knew it well until he proved me otherwise.

kneeshoe said:
FOI. Drilled me for 3 hours on just the FOI until he decided to bust me. It was pretty rough. I thought I knew it well until he proved me otherwise.

Crap that is my weakest area. What in detail was he drilling you on?

kneeshoe said:
Sorry to hear.... I got my AGI before my CFI initial (piece of cake, just take two writtens instead of one)... that way he wouldn't drill me with FOI's. He didn't even ask me a single FOI question during the oral.

Wish I would've known of your situation before he drilled you....

Yeah, I'm about to go down to the FSDO to get my AGI. Took the written already, now just a matter of filling out the 8710. I'll still probably get asked FOI questions tho. These guys have a routine they like to follow.

clue me in because i havent been able to figure it out yet...if you have a CFI why would you get an AGI?

Checks said:
clue me in because i havent been able to figure it out yet...if you have a CFI why would you get an AGI?
First off, because it only requires you to take an additional knowledge test, which is the exact same test as the Flight Instructor - Airplane (plus one or two additional questions, all of which can be found in the Gleim book). In other words, if it's so easy to do, why not do it?

Second, if you ever have/had a desire to become a Gold Seal CFI, you need the AGI as well.

AC 61-65D
Paragraph 18 - Gold Seal Flight Instructor Certificates

a. The flight instructor must hold a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating (glider flight instructors need not hold an instrument rating) or an ATP certificate;
b. The flight instructor must hold a ground instructor certificate with an advanced or instrument ground instructor rating; and
c. The flight instructor must have accomplished the following within the previous 24 months:
(1) Trained and recommended at least 10 applicants for a practical test, at least 8 of whom passed their tests on the first attempt;
(2) Conducted at least 20 practical tests as a designated pilot examiner, or graduation tests as chief instructor of a 14 CFR part 141 approved pilot school course; or
(3) A combination of the above requirements. (Two practical tests conducted equal the credit given for one applicant trained and recommended for a practical test.)
I don't know if it opens up any type of employment doors, but it certainly can't look bad on a resume, ya know?

Oh yeah, there's also no regulation requiring ground instructors to keep records of endorsements (for knowledge tests) for three years, as there is for flight instructors. So theoretically, you could give an endorsement for a knowledge test using your AGI certificate # and not maintain records. Not that I would do that, but it's possible.

Last edited:
kneeshoe said:
I came across another question in studying for my checkride. Here it is:

I got a first class medical in January of 2004 (under age 40). Say I pass the checkride on Friday; can I act as a CFI as soon as I finish, or do I have to go get myself a first or second class medical?

If you got your 1ST class Medical January 2004, then it turned to a second class medical on July 31st 2004 and then a 3rd class medical Feb 1st 2005. As of now you cannot use your commercial license let alone a CFI because you only have a 3rd class medical. It's almost 2006. You might want to go get a new medial before you go take your check ride.. I am not positive and it has been 15 years since my initial CFI ride, but I believe you need at least a second class medical to take the ride. In the airlines when we take our yearly check rides, First officers need a second class, and Captains need to have a current first class medical. When you take your ATP ride you definitely need a 1ST class medical

You might want to review that in the FAR'S before going to your check ride. I can almost grantee you will be asked that on your oral. Know your limitations as a CFI, as far as what you can & cannot do. I Also recommend that you dress professionally. Nice slacks, dress shirt, Tie & shoes. You will represent yourself better!!

If by chance you are asked a question and don't know the answerer, don't lie and try to fumble your way through the answerer. Simply state "I am not quite sure of that answerer, I am going to have to look that up" In real life that is what you would do anyway. Be sure you know exactly where to go, & quickly look it up. Or ask if you can quickly look it up. That might be one of the tests the examiner is giving you without you knowing it. To make sure you know where to look things up when you don't know the answerer. The examiner knows your not going to know everything. Just be sure you know the core stuff you should know. On a final note, When the examiner is talking, let him/her talk, and keep quite. They might be teaching you something.

It's normal to be nervous!

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back