• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Indian AF "cleans" USAF's clock

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, where can Helos do better today than fastcas? Prevention. Just like Nukes, they won't strike if they know their going to get pummelled. Your employing with fast CAS that the enemy isn't even considering, they can't see you, nor hear you, so they act as if you don't exist. Which is a problem, if they hear helos, they keep their heads down. It's deterence by presence. Thats the difference.

Absolutely. You make a great point here, something I admittedley hadn't considered. I'll buy the beers... this time!

" We need every F-22"

No we don't. At most we need less than 200 of these overpriced toys to defeat the Indian hordes.

Which is as I believe has been pointed out, exactly what we are getting. We need everyone we are getting. Some folks think we need none. How many F-111's did we really need?:)

Helos provide decent CAS, true. And I agree it would cut down the response time for TICs to have helos organic to the unit. Helo's aren't the end-all answer, though. If you remember the kick off of Fallujah, helo's were having a real rough time without some fixed wingers in the mix; especially daytime ops. By virtue of the platform, they're exposed to certain threats and experience limitations that the rest of us don't.

How many F-111's did we really need?

Never flew against/with one, but I'd imagine they could provide a great "red air" striker in an LFE at Nellis. Besides that, they ain't doing much for ya. No radar, can't really turn, can't fly high, and you've got 2 dudes sitting arm against arm like a big tweet....yikes! LOL:laugh:

PS. - this is not a slam against A-10's in the least. Now that jet is AWESOME and is highly needed right now.

Last edited:
" We need every F-22"

No we don't. At most we need less than 200 of these overpriced toys to defeat the Indian hordes.

Yep, to defeat the Indian hordes. But, what if we have to defeat the Indian hordes AND the Chinese hordes at the same time? While it seems to be true that a single F-22 can take on the mission of a F-15C 4-ship, it simply can't be in as many places at the same time as that 4-ship. This is a perfect time for fighter Generals to take an example from airlift generals. It's not about cargo carrying capacity, or in the case of F-22's ordinance delivery, it's about tails on the ramp. While a single C-17 can carry as much crap as any four C-130's, in can't be in the four different places at once. Same deal for the 189 F-22's. They simply cannot replace the entire current fleet of F-15C's. It's like saying simply because one guy is twice as big as another he can play both tackle and guard at the same time. Not gonna work. The generals on the hill may try to convince you it will, but that's only because that's all they can afford. The true issue here is not about the need or the number of F-22s, it's the ridiculous price tag on them. Hell, I bet we could outsource 'em to China for a heck of a lot cheaper. That way we can have three times as many when it comes time to bomb Beijing! Oh, the irony!

Hell, I bet we could outsource 'em to China for a heck of a lot cheaper. That way we can have three times as many when it comes time to bomb Beijing! Oh, the irony!

Yeah, it sounds like a great idea at first, but just think: With all those little "Made in China" stickers on the bottom of the jets, they won't be nearly as stealthy. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back