Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi!

Just read that INdia needs about 12000 airline pilots in the next 3 years. Last year, they trained ONLY 150!!!

They had about 35 flight schools in INdia last year. So far, 18 of them have closed, basically because all of their instructors left for the airlines.

A guy looking to go to my airline went to INdia as an off the street RJ captain. He had 1000/500. Our mins for Falcon capt are 3000, and for the -9 4000.

Wow.

cliff
YIP

PS-Moderators: I think we should start a foreign airline thread, for guys going to Emirates, Cathay, JAL, ANA, India, China, etc.

Kinda funny...

How many jobs were shipped to India from the US? You know, "Floyd" in customer service with Dell when you call with a computer issue?

Now they need US to fill positions over there? Oh yeah, skilled labor is what they need.

Head on over to PPrune.com for the latest.....

When they start offering direct-entry 747 or A340 CA positions paying about $20k a month PLUS per diem, PLUS 15 days off per month MINIMUM, with 2 months of paid vacation a year, not to mention a max duty day of 12 hours, then I'll think about it.

Otherwise, not a snowball's chance in hell...

Not a bad country, I have nothing against them, simply have no urge to live the next 25 years of my life outside of the good 'ole US of A unless they financially make it worth my while and I have enough time off to LEAVE the country to go somewhere I might enjoy spending my free time.

Hi!

Just read that INdia needs about 12000 airline pilots in the next 3 years. Last year, they trained ONLY 150!!!

They had about 35 flight schools in INdia last year. So far, 18 of them have closed, basically because all of their instructors left for the airlines.

A guy looking to go to my airline went to INdia as an off the street RJ captain. He had 1000/500. Our mins for Falcon capt are 3000, and for the -9 4000.

Wow.

cliff

YIP

PS-Moderators: I think we should start a foreign airline thread, for guys going to Emirates, Cathay, JAL, ANA, India, China, etc.
The people of India are not stupid. They train their kids to be Doctors, engineers, and Lawyers so they can earn a respectable wage when they come here. Why train Pilots and ditch diggers as we work for virtually nothing when compared to other professions!
Mach8

I made the move to Asia (not india) and could not be happier. I have not been treated this well every in aviation.

The people of India are not stupid. They train their kids to be Doctors, engineers, and Lawyers so they can earn a respectable wage when they come here. Why train Pilots and ditch diggers as we work for virtually nothing when compared to other professions!
Mach8

This is getting out of hand. how do we work for nothing. I do not have a college degree and managed to work for a 121 regional for 65-70 g's as a capt. on a dash 8. Then i went to a fractional and upgraded in 1 year and make 91 g's and now after 10 years in aviation ( about the time it takes to finish medical school and residency) i got hired at SW, still no degree. I get to look forward to 15 days off everymonth and a kick a$$ compensation package. If i had stayed at the fractional i would have 14 days off every month and 2 blocks of 3 weeks off for vacation every year. don't tell me this industry sucks. Just don't get stuck at a commuter because you are lazy and everything works out. I could not have asked for a better career track.

This is getting out of hand. how do we work for nothing. I do not have a college degree and managed to work for a 121 regional for 65-70 g's as a capt. on a dash 8. Then i went to a fractional and upgraded in 1 year and make 91 g's and now after 10 years in aviation ( about the time it takes to finish medical school and residency) i got hired at SW, still no degree. I get to look forward to 15 days off everymonth and a kick a$$ compensation package. If i had stayed at the fractional i would have 14 days off every month and 2 blocks of 3 weeks off for vacation every year. don't tell me this industry sucks. Just don't get stuck at a commuter because you are lazy and everything works out. I could not have asked for a better career track.
You, sir, are VERY, VERY lucky, and I don't think you realize HOW lucky you are.

I also did the same things you did, although I also have the 4-year degree, but in reverse order, and just last year got hired on at AirTran after 15 years in aviation (not including training, that's just working after college).

Most years I averaged about $50,000. NOT an impressive salary in ANY professional industry.

Maybe you should look around and realize MOST of us don't get the golden road as you have, despite how hard we try to get ahead. Yes, I said golden road.

You chose certain employment options when others might not have. NO ONE knows how they're going to work out, but you do your research and make your best bet and HOPE it's the right thing. In some cases, it works beautifully. In other cases, it doesn't.

I'm not saying you didn't work hard to get where you are, but LUCK is more at work here than anything else.

So good for you. But to tell other people they're not trying hard enough is assumptive and arrogant.

Last edited:

Outstanding Sir! Too bad you don't see more stories like this. I know they are out there. It seems, PILOTYIP and a few others are the only people on these boards talking positive about "Aviation Careers". Most everyone else: B!TCH, B!TCH, B!TCH.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back