Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Independence Air to cease all operations in Jan.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said, Rez, very well said!

It makes me chuckle too each time I read a former/current ACA pilot post pounding their chest saying how proud they were to ‘kick’ down the UAL offer?

Wow…did those guys/gals lived with their parents all this time?
Did they not have a mortgage?
Loans to pay back?
Kids?
Bills?

If they took a bit of concession, they would all have jobs today? Over 1,000 pilots (and FA’s and all other employees) sent home after so many years of service. I know someone in the administration who worked there for ten years and he, like everyone else, has to start all over. Why do we, as pilots, only think about ourselves and not the whole operation? What about other employees?

What do those ACA pilots (who turned down UAL offer) think of NWA and Delta pilots who took cuts to preserve not only their jobs but also the airline itself?

It’s sad to see ACA end like this. I had fun traveling on it and the crew and everyone else was fantastic. I get quite a tickle from this one guy who was pounding his chest for ‘kicking UAL’ in the gut, losing his job, being unemployed for over a year…and then getting hired by the UAL commuter with even less pay then he way earning what he would’ve earned had ACA pilots approved the UAL offer; still he boasts about his ‘proud moment’. He still lives with his parents with no loans or bills to pay.

FlyBunny said:
Well said, Rez, very well said!

It makes me chuckle too each time I read a former/current ACA pilot post pounding their chest saying how proud they were to ‘kick’ down the UAL offer?

Wow…did those guys/gals lived with their parents all this time?
Did they not have a mortgage?
Loans to pay back?
Kids?
Bills?

If they took a bit of concession, they would all have jobs today? Over 1,000 pilots (and FA’s and all other employees) sent home after so many years of service. I know someone in the administration who worked there for ten years and he, like everyone else, has to start all over. Why do we, as pilots, only think about ourselves and not the whole operation? What about other employees?

What do those ACA pilots (who turned down UAL offer) think of NWA and Delta pilots who took cuts to preserve not only their jobs but also the airline itself?

It’s sad to see ACA end like this. I had fun traveling on it and the crew and everyone else was fantastic. I get quite a tickle from this one guy who was pounding his chest for ‘kicking UAL’ in the gut, losing his job, being unemployed for over a year…and then getting hired by the UAL commuter with even less pay then he way earning what he would’ve earned had ACA pilots approved the UAL offer; still he boasts about his ‘proud moment’. He still lives with his parents with no loans or bills to pay.

I don't know about pounding on the chest but the bottom line was signing a contract with UAL would have been signing our own death sentence. The contract would have been for less flying than we had at the time (some had already been farmed out to mesa, tsa and others) so we would have furloughed immediately. The proposed contract actually had no term and allowed UAL to farm out our flying immediately - we we're the most expensive regional around at that time and they wanted to cut costs. That was the deal that UAL wanted the company to sign. At that point, IDE was the best option.

Your assertion that if we took a bit of a concession we would all have jobs today is just plain wrong. I think the DAL and NWA pilots who have taken concessions to preserve their companies are doing what they have to - are you comparing us and them? If so, you are comparing apples to Buicks. Supporting the decision to leave UAL was not a "FU!" decision - it was the lesser of two deals with a huge amount of risk for job loss.

-PB

Always deferred said:
Do you remember Bain? Do you remember Mesa, CHQ, TSA, Shuttle American, etc all swooping in to take our flying? DO you remember what UAL did to Air Whisky? I think you should check your facts, son.

Got my facts straight "Dad," thanks...

All of the things you listed above.. IT'S CALLED BUSINESS !!! It ain't personal and both parties involved in the situation made BUSINESS decisions.

ACA decided they couldn't operate for what United was willing to pay so they decided to strike out on their own with a business model that EVERYONE said would fail... And guess what? IT DID. If it makes you proud to say that you went along for the ride, good for you..

Last edited:
Always deferred said:
h25b said:
People act like the management from United was coming in to their homes and kicking their cats.
quote]

Do you remember Bain? Do you remember Mesa, CHQ, TSA, Shuttle American, etc all swooping in to take our flying? DO you remember what UAL did to Air Whisky? I think you should check your facts, son.

Do you remember that we did vote in the UAL TA? Remember? We (the pilot group) voted in the pay cut to keep the UAL flying. We wanted to be UAL's bitch. If memory serves me the TA passed by 68%.

h25b said:

All of the things you listed above.. IT'S CALLED BUSINESS !!! It ain't personal and both parties involved in the situation made BUSINESS decisions.

ACA decided they couldn't operate for what United was willing to pay so they decided to strike out on their own with a business model that EVERYONE said would fail... And guess what? IT DID. If it makes you proud to say that you went along for the ride, good for you..

The point is that all was not hunky-dorey with United. They were prepared to sign our death sentence. SO we did it first. We didn't just strije out on our own for the hell of it.

h25b said:

The point is that all was not hunky-dorey with United. They were prepared to sign our death sentence. SO we did it first. We didn't just strike out on our own for the hell of it.

ATTENTION ALL REMAINING INDY EMPLOYEES
Hey my heart goes out to you, that said, whatever you do don't hold on to the Titanic too long. I went through this already once this year, C8. BAIL NOW and don't look back!

You know what's funny? Had we kept the UAL flying because we took the paycuts mgmt wanted, we would have been blasted for once again lowering the bar. Now a couple years later we're getting blasted for not taking the pay cuts to keep the UAL flying. Whatever...

FlyBunny said:

I could be mistaken but I believe that NWA and DAL pilots make considerably more than an ACA pilot. Should we have worked for whatever mgmt wanted to pay us to save our jobs?

BTW - If you look at the financials, the pilots at ACA/IDE could have worked for free since the inception of IDE and it still would have lost money.

Latest resources

Back