Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dav8tor

Airline announces deadline for bidders By Roger Yu, USA TODAY
Dulles, Va.-based Independence Air on Thursday set a Dec. 16 deadline for investors to submit bids to buy the whole airline or just some of its assets.
The small airline, which flies mainly in the East, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy this week in Delaware. It's seeking to sell itself in whole or part to keep its planes flying. The airline says it expects to keep flying at least until early January regardless of the outcome of the bidding.
Meanwhile, company spokesman Rick DeLisi said the airline, which already has cut flights by more than half, is attempting to cut operating costs deeper.
"We're doing this to present the most attractive possible package for potentially interested investors or purchasers," he said. "We don't want to offer speculation on the potential outcome of the process."
Seventeen-month-old Independence Air operates 230 daily flights from its base at Washington Dulles airport. The airline has set Dec. 1 as the deadline for potential bidders to express their interest. If the airline receives more than one qualified bid for its assets, an auction will take place on Jan. 3 at its lawyers' offices.
Independence Air reassured its 2,800 employees this week that management is talking to unnamed potential investors.
Bankruptcy lawyer William Wallander of the Dallas office of Vinson & Elkins said it's rare for a company to enter Chapter 11 looking to sell itself. More commonly, he said, companies attempt to shed debt by giving investors an ownership stake in a reorganized business.
Before launching as a low-cost, independent airline, Independence Air's corporate parent, Flyi, was known as Atlantic Coast and operated as a feeder under contract with Delta and United.
With some of its planes no longer in operation, the company is looking to terminate leases or sell the few that they own. It is also seeking court permission to cancel some of its leases on 50-seat regional jets, which are the mainstay of its active fleet.

Anyone know what happens to people that have a ticket for like Jan 20th if the airline closes down on Jan 1st? Not just talking about Fly I, but on any airline. My friend asked me this the other night and I said I didn't know for sure, but I figured that the pax would be screwed and would be out the price of the ticket.

A lot of times other airlines will offer standby travel as a curtesy to stranded travelers.

If you paid with a CC you can get your $$ back if not accomodated. If you paid with cash or check you are SOL.

Thank goodness

I know this must be tough as hell on you Fly I guys, but I am glad that the I might be seen no more. The fewer airlines out there prostituting themselves, the better the industry as a whole will be.

I can't remember the movie, or even the exact quote (maybe Armageddon) it was something regarding a question "Aren't you glad we're strapped to a machine going 5 times the speed of sound and the contract to build it went to the lowest bidder."

That is any industry, people will gravitate to the cheapest ride. That isn't necessarily a good thing. How long before safety will be compromised? I won't cry a bit if Fly I disappears.

Let's raise the ticket prices for goodness sake.

Jet_Driver said:
I know this must be tough as hell on you Fly I guys, but I am glad that the I might be seen no more. The fewer airlines out there prostituting themselves, the better the industry as a whole will be.

I can't remember the movie, or even the exact quote (maybe Armageddon) it was something regarding a question "Aren't you glad we're strapped to a machine going 5 times the speed of sound and the contract to build it went to the lowest bidder."

That is any industry, people will gravitate to the cheapest ride. That isn't necessarily a good thing. How long before safety will be compromised? I won't cry a bit if Fly I disappears.

Let's raise the ticket prices for goodness sake.

Ouch, man......very ouch!!!!

Do you really think the death of FlyI is going to change anything? It may temporarily reduce capacity and increase fares but it will only be temporary. We have seen airlines come and go, there capacity has never left the market. When the airplanes are no longer in I-Air colors they will be returned to the sky and add capacity for someone else.

arthompson said:
Do you really think the death of FlyI is going to change anything? It may temporarily reduce capacity and increase fares but it will only be temporary. We have seen airlines come and go, there capacity has never left the market. When the airplanes are no longer in I-Air colors they will be returned to the sky and add capacity for someone else.

Well said. The liquidation (if, big if) it happens, won't mean squat to an industry flooded with seats. Only if a legacy or a larger LCC were to go under MIGHT it have an impact. I only feel sad that there are still folks out there wishing that airlines go out of business.

FlyI accounted for 0.6% of the domestic market.

coincidence?
---------------

AirTran Airways Expands Service From Washington Dulles
Thursday November 10, 2:03 pm ET

New Nonstop Service to Orlando and Boston from Dulles

ORLANDO, Fla., Nov. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI - News), today announced that the airline will add new daily roundtrip flights from Washington Dulles International Airport to Orlando International Airport, effective January 4, 2006, and Boston's Logan International Airport, effective February 15, 2006. The new flights will be served by the airline's popular Boeing 717 and Boeing 737 aircraft.
"AirTran Airways is responding to the demand from our customers for increased service to popular vacation and business markets," said Kevin Healy, AirTran Airways' vice president of planning and sales. "Travelers from the Washington, DC, area have clearly embraced AirTran Airways' low-cost, high-quality air service. Our product combines key business attributes -- new Boeing aircraft, assigned seating, large overhead bins and business class -- with low fares that never require roundtrip purchase or a Saturday night stay, which all of our customers appreciate. With these new flights, AirTran Airways will expand our schedule to eleven daily departures nonstop from Washington Dulles to three cities: our Atlanta hub, Orlando and Boston. From the Washington Metro area, we will offer more than 55 daily departures from Dulles, Reagan-National and BWI to a dozen cities. Soon, we expect to announce service from the Washington area to Chicago starting this spring."
AirTran Airways will offer the following additional daily nonstop flight options to/from Washington Dulles International Airport:
AirTran Airways, one of America's largest low-fare airlines with 6,700 friendly, professional Crew Members, operates over 500 daily flights to 49 destinations. The airline's hub is at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, where it is the second largest carrier. AirTran Airways recently added the fuel-efficient Boeing 737-700 aircraft to create America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. The airline is also the first carrier to install XM Satellite Radio on a commercial aircraft. For reservations or more information, visit http://airtran.com (America Online Keyword: AirTran).

Latest resources

Back