• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AutoBus said:
Your forgot one..

US Airways ( to America West)

I like it AutoBus:beer:

WD.

The original Ransome did not go out of bizz. JD sold his outfit to Pan AM in 1987, his pilots got DOH, something JD made a part of the deal which he didn't have to do, a true pilots' pilot that you'd be hard pressed to find in this industry today.

The TWA (T-way Express) that came after did go out of bizz but JD Ransome was not part of that deal from what I know.

Here's one more . . .

Rio Airways: Based in Killeen, Texas. Feeder for Braniff and Delta at DFW went Chapter 7 back in 1987. They still owe me my last 2 paychecks, but I got to keep the David Clarks. :rolleyes:

Wonder what percentage of pilots at majors actually make 20 year retirement and collect their retirement checks? I'll bet if we researched that we wouldn't like the answers.

VIVA LA B FUND and 401K!

I'm not trying to kick anyone. Just trying to learn something....

When I've read about the backgrounds of those starting at UPS, CAL, JetBlue and SWA in the last year I've seen some interesting things. Some were currently employed by AWA, Frontier, Airtran, UAL, NWA and DAL. I've always been intrigued by the apparent habit of some to jump from job to job in the Airline biz. Its worked well for some but it has worked out poorly for those who left FedEx for AA, UAL, and DAL. It's got to be really tough to leave a company that may be doing o.k. and know you can never come back if the situation reverses. Very gutsy move, Mav. But then there are those at troubled carriers....

I know a couple of folks who were employed but quit a legacy to get a government job. Not even furloughed! But some of the people I know who are furloughed DAL, UAL and AA are stubbornly not applying to any other majors. I'd like to think it is some rational, intentional decision to wait and see until its wiser to move on, but the more I talk with them that is not the case. They are stubborn and avoiding a decision because its too painful to think about. Maybe they are embarassed they made a poor decision (in their eyes) and even more so that they waited this long. I tell them its not their fault and they need to look forward and not to the past. After all, FedEx is now interviewing furloughed dudes. A major departure from past policy.

I've seen some start at SWA in their late 40's and even their 50's. A hard decision and I can tell you no one thought they were lesser for doing so. To those of you having trouble making the decision, I wish you best. My advice, stay informed on the industry and keep the interview suit and resume up to date. It will keep you sharper.

Latest resources

Back