• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...

Bobby made some very valid points about ethics and keeping the "professional image"
I personally wouldn't like to be the center of attention like this. Having people talk about me behind my back is not my thing, neither is sneaking off to keep secrets.
Even if the relationship were able to continue sucessfully both personally and profesionally, I think it would cause too much distraction at the FBO in the short term.
I think the best course of action would be to have her fly with another instructor, that way they can still date, she can focus 100% on her training with an unbiased view, and he can keep his ethics intact.
Seems simple enough, too bad it never is as it seems.

Personally I don't think it's any of your business unless one of them wants out of the "relationship" or there is abuse involved. I don't believe it's the same as a doctor/patient relationship. The difference is that in a doctor patient relationship their is very personal information that the Dr. knows and is trusted with concerning the treatment of the patient. The only thing involved professionally here is the concern she is getting adequate instruction. Seems to me that if she had a problem with the quality of the instruction she would go elsewhere. If she gets poor intruction and doesn't leave then it's her own fault. People sometimes make mistakes, it's part of life...

Let me get this straight. You have a good looking young lady that is paying your salaries and you see this as bad??? Send me a job application. :D

Hey gilligan,

Correct me if I'm off base here, but it sounds like your CFI buddy stole your chick and you're pretty pissed about it.

I'd like to see how you would act if you were in his position. Take some professional advice, listen to flint4xx and airjackson, they couldn't be any more correct.

Gilligan said:
I wish the FAA had a role, I'd turn him in!

I hope your kidding. If something like this is enough to make you go running and screaming to the FAA, your not gonna make many friends. Spend you time worrying about more important things... Like your studies.

Here's something that happened to a friend of mine. He had an affair with a female student(not his student), after a while they went their separate ways. She gets hired at a major airline. Years later he gets hired at same airline. Before his probations is over they run into each other. She goes to the chief pilot and accusses him of sexual harrassment. Chief pilot calls him in and says "you've been accussed, you're on probation...hasta la vista"

He's worked for number of smaller companies since, but never back at a major. I think he'd be the first to tell you that it wasn't worth it!!!

Just goes to show women are pure evil and torment.

Never seen a problem

I have a few friends that dated their students and all seemed to work out well even if they didn't stay together.

My friend married his student, she went to law school and is now a corp. lawyer pulling in like 350 + grand per year. My buddy is a capt for a WO, drops all his trips and loves life. Talk about furlough protection, I gotta start hangin out at flight schools.

Last edited:
I don't think I saw any comments from the "evil" female perspective, so you're going to get mine.

It totally depends on the people involved.

I dated two of my instructors. The first did my private and instrument ratings. It was great fun at first, but I think he was overly tough on me just to prove that he wasn't giving me any extra slack because we were going out. The thing is, I love that kind of abuse, and now I think I'm better off BECAUSE he was so hard on me. We broke up after I met my next instructor. The first guy now flies for a big regional and has told people we know that I will never fly for that regional as long as he can walk into the chief pilot's office and tell them not to hire me. So you can see what kind of character he has. I still don't think dating him was a mistake though, because we had some really fun times, although not like what some of you perverts are probably thinking right now.

I've been married to the second instructor that I dated for two years now. Again, we were both grown-up's about it, and it worked out fine. When we fly together, it is all about flying the airplane and nothing else. We are both instructors and keep each other current. We flew charter together for the same company. And we never let out personal lives get in the way of our professionalism.

But I say again, it takes the right people to make it work. I've seen many girls get taken advantage of by their male instructors, but I've also seen it the other way, where some guy followed his "hot" isntructor around, begging for more flight time with her.

With all that being said, I don't think flight schools should let their instructors fraternize with their students. However, outside of the flight school, those people have private lives and they can do whatever they want.

My .02 cents worth. Bottom line, unless they are dangerous when they're flying together, I don't think anybody should say anything, except maybe his boss if it bothers him.

Gilligan said:
I can tell you this CFI is building hours to someday make the majors. I do remember, and I soon will be in the majors, should I ever see him come to an interview, he will be dropped on the spot if I can say anything. I've seen the way he is now, how is he going to be in the corporate environment, and around coworkers. I wish the FAA had a role, I'd turn him in!

Uh, this really sounds like you have an axe to grind here. You sound extremely jealous of this other instructor.

It would be incredibly unprofessional of you to take revenge on this individual by recommending him not to be hired or going so far as to turn him in to the FAA.
As has been pointed out, aviation is a small world. Making threats like this to get revenge on another pilot can backfire on you big-time.

They are two consenting adults, and the instructor's boss has no problem with it. I say mind your own business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back