IN RESPONSE: ExpressJet and The Mystery of The 69 Airplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ERJFO

My response to an unelloquent and pointless attack by I Love Lamp and SuperKooter :

IF WE DO BRANDED FLYING THE FOLLOWING IS TRUE:

Branded flying will not fail (I hope) and is not comparable to FlyI...

We won't be flying out of anyone's HUB - we definatley won't be flying solely out of UAL's main East-Cost HUB and compeating with them.

We will still be making 10% profit over operating cost on 205 airplanes that will be flown for CAL, thus supporting the start-up costs of branded flying.

The E-145 has lower CASM (cost/available seat mile) than the CRJ-700 (on a pure aircraft vs. aircraft spectrum) and Horizon flys those on "branded" routes and has profitable RASM (revenue/available seat mile) Thus our RASM should be somewhat high-yeild if we are flying non-hub on demanded routes... COS-SEA comes to mind (not that we will do that but it's an example route that has over 1000 pasangers a day that connect thru other cities). Keep in mind CASM can change significantly from airline to airline due to things such as station, equipment (non-aircraft), contract services, and labor costs (to name a few). Thus my Horizon comparison my be favorable or unfavorable depending on how their cost-operating structure stacks up agianst ours.

ExpressJet's last public balance sheet showed more than 236.5 Million Dollars of CASH. For ONLY comparison Skywest had 165.4 Million and Republic had 163.2. ExpressJet also has the LEAST amount of current debt of the three airlines compared.

Also in defense of our embaressing recruiter Horizon and ExpressJet is a poor comparison because they have no 50 seat jet and we have no 70 seat jet (or 70 seat/37 seat turboprop).

Just thought I had a few interesting points to point out and I hope the offending posters are embaresed (if they pose the comon sense to realize their wrongs)

Last edited:
Also in defense of our embaressing recruiter Horizon and ExpressJet is a poor comparison because they have no 50 seat jet and we have no 70 seat jet (or 70 seat/37 seat turboprop). BUT if you take Horizon's 18 year CRJ-700 CA pay and devide it by 70 (seats) you see they get paid $1.72/seat where ExpressJet's 18 year CA's get $1.84/seat based on the same math. Applying the same math Horizons 2nd year CRJ-700 FO pay provides $.60/seat while ExpressJet's 2nd year pay alots for $.66/seat. So while the actually rate is not higher the per/seat compensation is.

So using your seat/pay ‘logic’ (and I use that term loosely), is Big Sky the place to be? An 18 year captain on the metro is pulling in $2.63 per seat man! And that second year FO is banking $1.16 per seat (rounded)… ChaChing!!!! :laugh:

I say you guys should undercut CHQ on their Nationwide charter, that way you can feel some vindication./sarcasm

ExpressJet's last public balance sheet showed more than 236.5 Million Dollars of CASH. For ONLY comparison Skywest had 165.4 Million and Republic had 163.2. ExpressJet also has the LEAST amount of current debt of the three airlines compared.

Just thought I had a few interesting points to point out and I hope the offending posters are embaresed (if they pose the comon sense to realize their wrongs)

The Cash and Cash Equivaltents are actually-

XJT - $253 million
SKYW - $261 million
RJET - $205 million

Following up on your logic, I assume then that you will NEVER want to work at any kind of legacy airline. For example: a topped out A300 capt at American only makes $.64/seat! The same topped out FO makes about $.44/seat.

Thanks to your "fuzzy math" logic, I can now see that Expressjet is now the place to retire at.:rolleyes:

Oh, man, I didn't realize how good I had it! I'm only an 8th-year captain at CommutAir, and I'm pulling down a sweet $2.01 a seat in the 1900. Wow!

:puke:

Latest resources

Back