• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In flight satelite WX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry I can't give you better answers Diesel - normally the geek in me would insist on knowing everything there is to know about this stuff. But with only a little more than a hundred hours in an airplane that's a good step up in what I was flying before - I haven't given a whole lot of thought on how this setup was implemented. I've been more focused on avoiding becoming a smoking hole. :D

Diesel said:
On the website it shows a bluetooth GPS. I'm guessing that's a gps only bluetooth antenna it's not XM too? The XM antenna would be wired and is about the size of a 50 cent piece. They don't have any bluetooth XM antennas do they? Wire's drive me nuts.

The bluetooth gps is just that, a gps receiver to provide the WX Worx (XM) on your pc gps info and is seperate from the XM antenna. It'll be interesting to find out if there really is an option to wire the external XM antenna to the bluetooth receiver, just to get rid of 1 more wire in the cockpit and alleviate the reception problem I have in the Northeast.
In todays world of flying, the one feature I like the most aside from the radar is the graphical depiction of tfr's. We escaped hurricane Rita from Louisiana to Aspen this weekend and it was nice to see these laid out graphically in the cockpit on the way home considering there are tfr's from Galveston to the Mobile area.

cool thanks

SabreFlyR - I did some research today and found that we got the XM antenna from DAC Avionics ( http://www.dacint.com/ ). It's TSO'd, and apparently is designed specifically for the WxWorx receiver, so it includes everything you need for the install. Therefore, any avionics shop should be able to do it.

bigD said:
SabreFlyR - I did some research today and found that we got the XM antenna from DAC Avionics ( http://www.dacint.com/ ). It's TSO'd, and apparently is designed specifically for the WxWorx receiver, so it includes everything you need for the install. Therefore, any avionics shop should be able to do it.

Thanks Big D, I am talking with DAC now to see what the scoop is. It's amazing that the installer didn't seem to know what was going on with regard to this system. They are one of the top vote getters in the annual Pro Pilot survey.
I think they were just upset I elceted to display the weather on an efb rather than buy a 40K+ mfd to be installed.

I'm currently working on the setup right now. Having the avionics company install the 12v outlet behind the CoPilots seat when i get back off this trip.

One question for you guys that use this. Why didn't you go with the WxWorx progam. I saw that anywheremap sell the WxWorx hardware but uses it's own software. They don't even take the WxWorx off of the router.

So why choose Anywheremap over WxWorx since the only difference is a software issue? I know it's an odd question but i figure if one company is offering a better software package I'd like to know.

Also anybody having any luck finding an XM AND GPS bluetooth antenna? That would be perfect but so far no luck.

D

Ahhh i think i figured out the difference. Anywheremap is a maping and flight following solution. WxWorx is just the weather.

So here is the question. We are currently running Jeppsen Flight Deck without the GPS. Would you reccomend using the anywheremap even though we have approach charts and enroute charts. or would you recomend just buying WxWorx for the weather and switching between the two?

Ahhh the power of technology. Personally i see good points and bad points with both systems.

Update- Talked to anywhere map and and they are a pretty neat company. They did bring up an interesting point. You can have a bluetooth gps reciever or a bluetooth xmwx router. But having both doesn't work with some tablets and systems. Anybody use both at the same time?

Last edited:
Wow!

Lots of info on that link, Thanks. I have a USB GPS that I will try next week and let you know if it works on the Lear 45.

Thanks for all the info!

Diesel said:
Ahhh i think i figured out the difference. Anywheremap is a maping and flight following solution. WxWorx is just the weather.

So here is the question. We are currently running Jeppsen Flight Deck without the GPS. Would you reccomend using the anywheremap even though we have approach charts and enroute charts. or would you recomend just buying WxWorx for the weather and switching between the two?

Ahhh the power of technology. Personally i see good points and bad points with both systems.

Update- Talked to anywhere map and and they are a pretty neat company. They did bring up an interesting point. You can have a bluetooth gps reciever or a bluetooth xmwx router. But having both doesn't work with some tablets and systems. Anybody use both at the same time?[/quote]

We're using the ADR FG-4000 efb with WX Worx software for XM weather and Jeppview. They're right the gps will only feed one at a time, typically we have the gps linked to the XM. We have an Argus 7000 hooked to the Gnsxls so it's not imperitive for us to have gps on the jepp chart for situational awareness.
I haven'y looked at what Anywhere map has, but the WxWorx has a map on it with updates offered on their website.

Latest resources

Back