In flight satelite WX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ultrarunner

I am considering WSI Inflight and XM Weather Works. Both installs price pretty close. User interfaces are similar as well from looking at each of their websites.

WSI has a bit higher annual subscription rate, but advertises all of North America and also into Canada.

XM indicates their satelite coverage is only continental US and coastal waters.

So, with the amount of flying we do in the islands, Carribean Sea, and Central America, I am leaning toward WSI, as it appears I'll have coverage in those areas.

I would like some comments from those that have used these systems. Also, does anyone recall which trade pub reviewed these systems recently?

thanks

We have XM, and it's been great. Real time weather (well, 5 minutes old), as well all the text information (METAR's, etc) you need at your fingertips. I wasn't the one that made the decision to implement it, so honestly I don't know if it's better or worse than any other system. I only fly domestically, so the coverage isn't an issue.

We have tablet PC's to display the information, and the data is fed to the tablets via Bluetooth. It's pretty slick - no wires anywhere.

bigD said:
We have XM, and it's been great. Real time weather (well, 5 minutes old), as well all the text information (METAR's, etc) you need at your fingertips. I wasn't the one that made the decision to implement it, so honestly I don't know if it's better or worse than any other system. I only fly domestically, so the coverage isn't an issue.

We have tablet PC's to display the information, and the data is fed to the tablets via Bluetooth. It's pretty slick - no wires anywhere.

The Bluetooth option...I will inquire about that.

thanks

WSI is very good also. Havent had any problems with it, but have not used XM so I cant compare the two. Its great to have anything like that on board, especially when doing transcons, to keep your options open a lot further out with more go-juice on board.

bigd,

does the XM box send the info via bluetooth to the EFB? We are using FG-4000 units from ADR and looking at XM. We have the service hooked up to an Avidyne EX500 in our King Air, and looking at getting the service for some of the jets with the EFBs. You get METAR, TAF, Winds Aloft, etc? Thanks.

mike1mc said:
bigd,

does the XM box send the info via bluetooth to the EFB? We are using FG-4000 units from ADR and looking at XM. We have the service hooked up to an Avidyne EX500 in our King Air, and looking at getting the service for some of the jets with the EFBs. You get METAR, TAF, Winds Aloft, etc? Thanks.

Yes, the Bluetooth is used to send the XM data to our tablet PC's. We don't use specific EFB's - just a Windows based tablet. Incidentally, the tablets are also our personal PC's, so we take them home with us and use them for day to day stuff too (I'm posting this from my tablet). We do get METAR's, TAF's, winds aloft - basically everything you'd get by looking at a WSI station.

It's nice, and pretty easy to use. There are no wires to deal with, and it's essentially just like having WSI sitting in your lap while you fly. The only problem is that the tablet PC I use (from Motion Computing) has a backlight that's pretty bright at night, even on it's lowest setting. I wish I could make it a little darker. We're also trying to find good ways of mounting the thing. Right now I just have it on my lap, but it's not lashed down at all, which is kind of a problem in heavy turbulence. It's a little too large to be somehow attached to the yoke. So we're still experimenting.

Big D-

I'm looking at doing the same thing. Can you send me to some websites or something that sells the bluetooth setup or did you just make it yourself.

Where is the antenna mounted? How do you have the antenna hooked up to bluetooth? Also what level subscription are you on? Are you running it off of 12v?

Please give as much info as you can thanks.

Diesel - we did everything pretty much through Anywhere Map - www.anywheremap.com . The XM receiver has the Bluetooth functionality built in. It's tucked away, hidden behind the co-pilot's seat, and is directly wired into the 24 volt system (I fly a Cheyenne II). The XM antenna is attached to the fuselage. The GPS portion of the system uses the same antennas that the Garmin 530 and 430 use. We pay $49.99 per month for the serivce.

The nice thing is that you can buy the setup without the tablet - so you can pick whatever PC solution you want. If you'd like, you can get the tablet PC included - it just depends on what you want to do. We could get the tablets cheaper elsewhere, so we elected to just get the XM receiver, and we got the tablets on our own.

It's a lot of functionality for not a lot of money. We're happy.

As far as the tablet itself - we don't have it wired into the electrical system of the plane. The battery life is about 4.5 hours, so I just make sure it's charged before I fly, and have it run off the battery.

bigD said:
Diesel - we did everything pretty much through Anywhere Map - www.anywheremap.com . The XM receiver has the Bluetooth functionality built in. It's tucked away, hidden behind the co-pilot's seat, and is directly wired into the 24 volt system (I fly a Cheyenne II). The XM antenna is attached to the fuselage. The GPS portion of the system uses the same antennas that the Garmin 530 and 430 use. We pay $49.99 per month for the serivce.

The nice thing is that you can buy the setup without the tablet - so you can pick whatever PC solution you want. If you'd like, you can get the tablet PC included - it just depends on what you want to do. We could get the tablets cheaper elsewhere, so we elected to just get the XM receiver, and we got the tablets on our own.

It's a lot of functionality for not a lot of money. We're happy.

As far as the tablet itself - we don't have it wired into the electrical system of the plane. The battery life is about 4.5 hours, so I just make sure it's charged before I fly, and have it run off the battery.

Could you tell me who did your installation? I would like to find out how they connected the portable unit to an external antenna.
I've got the XM bluetoothed to our FG-4000, but am using the portable antenna. The avionics shop I dealt with said there was not a way to connect this XM receiver to an external antenna because of the difference in the connectors. I have the external antenna already installed in anticipation of eventually installing the certified version but it would be nice to do away with the portable antenna in the glareshield in the meantime.

Latest resources

Back