• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In flight pranks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not so much a prank, but i've found that while doing x-c flights with students if you keep looking out one side of the airplane while asking them where their checkpoint is, they will magically start turning in the direction you're looking.

I used to work for a company that had a Mooney that we used to reposition pilots with. The chief pilot used to like to take advantage of his Mooney time to put on the hood and practice his instrument skills (Girls like guys with skills - Napoleon Dynamite.) While he would do this the guys stuck in the back seat would periodically reach up between the front seats and "adjust" the trim for him. He never did catch on and always complained about how hard that @#*$# Mooney was to hand fly. :D

'Sled

Last edited:
Mmmmmm Burritos said:
One I've heard from the ATR world. The AC breaks at an outstation and they need to position it back to a maintenance base with no passengers. Unbeknownst to the FA's, there will also be two deadheading pilots on board (you can see where this is leading!)

Well in the ATR there is a cargo bay inbetween the cockpit and the front of the cabin with a door on either end. The pilots need to walk through the cargo bay to get to the cabin and use the lav. So the pilots all got together for this scam and had the two deadheading pilots sit in the cargo bay for takeoff. Finally in cruise, one of the pilots come back to use the lav and starts chatting with the FA's. No big deal...

A few minutes later another pilot comes back to the cabin and the FA's get a little freaked out then. "Who is flying the plane?" etc. The pilots say the plane is on autopilot and not to worry. The FA's ask what about radio calls? The pilots explain they'll just check on when they get back to see if they missed anything. The FA's then relax a bit.

Finally the FO decides to return to the cockpit, but upon reaching the forward cabin door he realizes it's "locked". He starts freaking out and wiggling the handle. The captain comes up and has no luck with it either. Right about then the plane starts banking and pitching and the captain says the autopilot must have disconnected! The FA's are freaking out at this point needless to say! So the captain decides to rush the door from about halfway back in the cabin and right before he hits it he stops and asks "Has anybody tried knocking?". He then knocks and one of the other pilots let them in.

Needless to say the pilots didn't get any "action" that night I'm sure!

Funniest part is that most of our ATR F/A's wouldn't even notice if the second pilot came back into the cabin.

Nice

groundpointsix said:
Not so much a prank, but i've found that while doing x-c flights with students if you keep looking out one side of the airplane while asking them where their checkpoint is, they will magically start turning in the direction you're looking.

Funny! I've got to give that a try!!!

ePilot22 said:
The best part is the bowls are going to remain inside his terminal and I don't think he'll ever know where the smell is coming from.

At least I hope he doesn't because I hate having to watch me back!:erm:

Bad News! Word got out and he found it. Of cousre it took him 10 mins even after he was told where to look!

I hope I don't end up with a strange rash or something!!!!!

Lead Sled said:
[FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]Does anyone remember the story about the (AA?) crew that involved a sleeve from a gorilla costume, a banana and the cockpit panel camera? I heard about it probably 20 years ago, but it is still one of the classics.[/FONT]

[FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]At the time there were camera in the cockpit that showed the panel and windscreen for the passengers. One of the pilots was wearing the gorilla costume sleeve. The cabin monitors showed this hairy arm pushing the power levers up for takeoff. At some point after the takeoff, the gorilla put his hand out and the other pilot put a banana in it. Funny stuff, but of course, some of the passengers were upset and the airline was embarrassed by it. It was in all of the newspapers and made network news.[/FONT]

[FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]'Sled

[/FONT]

That is the funniest thing I have read here in a long time!

One time we were empty coming into CLE on the B1900. The baggage compartment separates the pax compartment with a divider that can be folded over from the cabin. When we taxied up to our parking spot, I ran to the back of the plane and climbed over the divider. When the rampie opened up the Bag door, I jumped out and scared him half to death.

VNugget said:
When riding in the back of a 172, you can change the CG a fair amount by leaning forward or back. In really smooth air, when the 2 guys up front are distracted chatting with each other, you can really have the pilot wondering why the hell the dang thing won't stay in trim.

Or at least get him really annoyed that you wont sit still ;)

I was flying with my sister in an ancient 172 once,and the vent popped out and I said "Oh no ! It's the wing bolt!".One of my buds flew an Aztec for an FBO and got stuck when a starter failed.So,they sent one of the newly-minted CFI's to pick him up in the FBO's 210,the kind with the underwing courtesy lights.The switch for these lights is on the doorpost.It was a typical summer night with scattered thunderstorms and my bud would flip on the light for a split second,drawing the CFI's attention.After about the third time,he said "Man,that stuff is getting close!" Ah,but my bud was soon to be a victim of another joke.Another one of our bunch was taking a trip on Delta.While he was at the ticket counter,he asked for some stationery and an envelope and the agent obliged (this was around 20 years ago).So he mails it to my bud,saying he's Capt. Pete from Delta HR and wants him to come to an interview-he went ballistic."How did they get my name ?!" he cried.We still talk about that one.

When I was a new hire in the SAAB several years ago I had two seperate occasions where the captian would reach up and hit the fire test in flight. The first time I just looked up and said ha ha that was funny. The second time it happened I yelled "oh no a fire" and reached up as fast as I could and grabbed the fire handle and pretended I was going to pull it. I think he saw his career flash before his eyes. I got the last laugh on that one. I dont think he will do that to anyone ever again.

Latest resources

Back