Impending Pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

According to Air Transport World's April issue there is a looming pilot shortage worldwide. Boeing estimates that over the next 20 years the airlines will need additional 17,000 pilots per year. Stated in article "While the world is experiencing a growing shortage of qualified pilots"...."The US has a head in the sand approach on this issue, being lulled into a false sense of security due to what is perceived as an unlimited pool qualified pilots". Retirements and industry recovery will soon absorb this surplus. Looks like the hiring boom of June 2007 is right on track. Remember years ending in 7 are great years for hiring and years ending in 2 are bad years for hiring.

pilotyip said:
According to Air Transport World's April issue there is a looming pilot shortage worldwide. Boeing estimates that over the next 20 years the airlines will need additional 17,000 pilots per year. Stated in article "While the world is experiencing a growing shortage of qualified pilots"...."The US has a head in the sand approach on this issue, being lulled into a false sense of security due to what is perceived as an unlimited pool qualified pilots". Retirements and industry recovery will soon absorb this surplus. Looks like the hiring boom of June 2007 is right on track. Remember years ending in 7 are great years for hiring and years ending in 2 are bad years for hiring.

LOL, and if the pay keeps decreasing the way it is, there might just may be more pilts needed!!!!

EMB Skillz said:
If you aren't willing to give up work rules and pay, there won't be airlines to work at.

How about instead of lowering pilots pay, we increase the price of tickets to what they shoulod be!!!! I know it's easier said than done, but it's really getting ridiculous now.

BTW- my above comment was said in humor, I know there will always be pilots who will fly for peanuts, and that's the truth!!!!!

Pilots can get PAID?!

Why am I only finding this out NOW?!?!

Get paid, I can finally leave my parents' basement!!

CE

There will be a pilot shortage when kids finally wake up and realize that, a.) you CAN get hired at a regional with less than 1000 TT and b.) that's as far as you can go in the first 15 years of your career.

The is hope. Kingfisher and Air Sahara are hiring with bases in Mumbai and Delhi. :eek: TC

There will be a pilot shortage a few years after the underwriters at First National Bank of Mom & Dad understand the odds of a good return on their investment in Jr.'s flying career.

All the grumpy old farts on this board who despise anyone who has an interest in being a professional pilot, I bet that when you were all young and starry eyed you wouldn't have let a grumpy old guy convince you to drop the idea of a career being a pilot. You may regret it these days, but I'll bet a years supply of adult diapers you wouldn't have cared what anyone else said when you first started out.

Hey 81 horse. Your avitar looks vaguely familiar. Is that from Kubrick's 2001 a space oddesy? Ok...now we all know I am a sci fi geek...just had to ask.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back