Impending Pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amish RakeFight said:
CFI uniforms suck. If someone asks who you fly for, aren't you embarrased to say noone?

CFI uniforms don't suck. CFI uniforms that look like an airline pilot's uniform do suck. I would be a little embarresed to say "no one" if I really did fly for "no one" but I don't. I fly for a part 141 flight school and do a lot of scenic and photo flights.

But i guess it makes one feel more professional and legitamizes the high rates a student pays to the school.

Yes..............hm......affirmative.

Do you work for one of the pilot factories or a mom and pop operation?

Two mom and pops operations. If I leave the 141 place to go to the other gig I do the same work after removing the uniform.

By the way, you mention that you wear a pilots uniform as a CFI in several of your posts, and no one was even discussing it here. Do you do the same with peoplke you meet in person?

I wouldn't have mentioned it if it were not being discussed:
FN FAL said:
Windbreakers, leather jackets, spandex space pilot uniforms, CFI's wearing pilot shirts, Ray-Bans v. Oakley-doaklies, mp-3 players, Virginia, any state beginning and ending with a vowel or Missouri.

pilotyip said:
According to Air Transport World's April issue there is a looming pilot shortage worldwide. Boeing estimates that over the next 20 years the airlines will need additional 17,000 pilots per year. Stated in article "While the world is experiencing a growing shortage of qualified pilots"...."The US has a head in the sand approach on this issue, being lulled into a false sense of security due to what is perceived as an unlimited pool qualified pilots". Retirements and industry recovery will soon absorb this surplus. Looks like the hiring boom of June 2007 is right on track. Remember years ending in 7 are great years for hiring and years ending in 2 are bad years for hiring.

Pilot shortage my anus! I bet this is just another ploy by all the big-name flight academies to drum up more business. As long as we have thousands of pilots out on the streets, have PFT's, have companies charge fees just to put in an application, or have snappy uniforms to go with 15K paychecks we do not have a pilot shortage.

pilotyip said:
According to Air Transport World's April issue there is a looming pilot shortage worldwide. Boeing estimates that over the next 20 years the airlines will need additional 17,000 pilots per year.

The key word here is: "Worldwide"

More accurately, it should state: "Worldwide, excluding North America."

Our airline service is at capacity; the developing worlds' isn't.

That is where pilots will be needed.

C

Corona, you did not quote the entire article, North America is not in touch with the reality of the looming quality shortage. They presently take for granted they will have 10 well qualifed applicants for every opening from which to choose. Already on the lower end of the business, airlines have having trouble filling classes. I see my pool 1/2 life down to a half of what it was 3 years ago. Poolies are finding other jobs, that was not the case three years ago.

mcjohn said:
CFI uniforms don't suck. CFI uniforms that look like an airline pilot's uniform do suck.

That's the truth. Something like kakhi pants with a company shirt with a good company logo makes a lot more sense and doesn't embarrass your CFI's.

Airbadger--You're the perfect candidate to be a pilot. If all you've ever wanted to do is fly, go for it. We aren't trying to discourage anyone like you from flying. We just want to warn off those who are in it for the glamour or pay.TC

FN FAL said:
Windbreakers, leather jackets, spandex space pilot uniforms, CFI's wearing pilot shirts, Ray-Bans v. Oakley-doaklies, mp-3 players, Virginia, any state beginning and ending with a vowel or Missouri.

Those things look awful...I'm glad I didn't have to wear one. Whats even worse is when there are bars on the leather jacket.
I had the privilage of wearing a uniform with bars from my cfi job at WMU. I would take off the bars if I was driving or had to go into an FBO...how embarrasing.

As long as we allow the regionals to expand, that's where the jobs will be.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back